Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FSXT 5-speed 5MT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, new guy here and prospective FXT buyer. I've got a lead on a potential '08 XT, although I have a few questions for you experts!

The ad claimed that the car was a 2008 Forester Sports X. In the pictures the car is badged as a 2.5XT though. The taillights and wheels are different than the '08 XT came with, and there is no lower splitter lip on the front bumper.

There is however a boost gauge, a hatch spoiler with taillight, and the engine shot reveals what (subie newbie alert!) I believe to be the top-mount intercooler. I can't seem to find accurate engine-bay pictures of the X vs. XT on google to compare the two.

The interior shot shows aluminium pedals, but they also came on the 10th anniversary X, correct?

The carfax report lists the car as a "2008 SUBARU FORESTER2.5X SPO/2.5XTSPO", with a 2.5L H4 SFI SOHC 16V. I'm assuming subaru used a common VIN for X and XT models?

Can someone please explain what I'm looking at here? I will be very excited if it truly is an XT!

Pictures:
I thought the '08 XT had a lower lip spoiler on the front:

interior:

Boost gauge?

Did X and XT use different shift knobs?

Rear discs, but wrong wheels:

Right spoiler, but wrong taillights:

Engine compartment:

Thanks in advance!!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,105 Posts
Do you have a VIN?

Looks like s Sports XT with 03-05 tails and the 04-05 XT alloys.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
-DGM (Dark Gray Metallic) color = 08 hands down unless repainted
-Because of the color, having silver roof rails = Sports because in 08, only the Sports came with silver rails
-Blacked headlights = 08 Sports (unless they were painted by owner)
-It's obviously an XT and not an X, since it has a scoop, inter cooler, boost gauge, etc.

I would say the tails and wheels were swapped in. I would have much preferred the STi wheels...

Oh, and the warning on the dash means that the owner probably swapped the wheels in and they didn't have the TPMS sensors or he didn't get them synced with the car.

On a side note, I have never seen seat heaters like that

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
On a side note, I have never seen seat heaters like that
Aftermarket! The 08 Sports did not have heated seats. Those switches are standard on an aftermarket heated seat kit I used a few years ago to repair a neighbors Outback failed seat heater.

BTW they work as well as the factory ones.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT 5-speed 5MT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like a pretty cool car, only 24,000 on the clock right now. I looked up Scans' old threads and it looks like he had it pretty modified at some point. Unless anyone can talk me out of it (car has been thrashed, modifications voided warranty, return to stock somehow messed it up, etc), I will definitely be scooping this ASAP!

Is Scans still active on the forums? I'm thinking about PMing him and seeing if he has any further info on the car.

Thanks again!

D

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
The dealer posted it for 21,995 but say they would probably let it go for 21k. Is that a reasonable deal for what I'm looking at?
Maybe if it had the STI wheels and STI front lip spoiler that originally came with it, but that's just $2k less than what I bought mine for brand new.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
I paid less than that just over a year ago for a MY07 with much lower mileage... There should be plenty of room to play with that price, I'd say 2k less would be right on par.
Try to take advantage of the fact that they've listed it wrong, and see if they're dumb enough to drop the price to X territory. :lol:

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
since we know where it came from see if you can get in touch with Scans007. If it went from him directly to this dealer he may be able to give you inside info on what he got for it. That will definitely give you the upper hand on negotiations.

My biggest grip is that that specific example is missing 2 of the 3 items that make a Sport model what it is (the STi wheels and front lip). Hell the front lip alone is $400 from Subaru. I would also argue that the tail lights are not correct either. A pair of those are probably $300.

That's all assuming you would like to have it as it came. Cause if you get it now like that and want to sell it, the VIN will list it as a 2008 XT Sport, but missing those pieces could hurt YOUR resale value in the end. So I would take that into consideration.

In addition, by the dash lights, it looks like there is a problem with the tire inflation sensors. They may not have been swapped over by Scans007 (or the tires are low). If they're not there, hell, that's even more money you'd have to spend to get rid of that annoying icon, unless it doesn't bother you. But again, more of a hit on your resale value.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts