Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester 2.0S
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a sleepy village in Andalucia, Spain and a while back I bought a second hand replacement engine for my 1999 Forester.

I was away from Spain for a couple of months and on my return, my village mechanic told me that the electronics of replacement engine was not compatible with my Forester.

The evil salvage company would not take it back even though I had sent then the ficha tecnica which confirms the year and engine.

I would be most grateful if someone can identify the model from the attached photos or advise where I can locate it on the engine.

Thanking you in advance

Attachments

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
From the photos that looks like an EJ20G engine from an early (93-96) Impreza.

It has the 90degree inlet to the turbo instead of the later front entry.

Engine serial number should be stamped on the engine/gearbox flange just above where the starter motor would fit.

Identification info hopefully here.....................

http://www.jimclarkeracing.co.uk/scooby/pre-my97/GeneralInfo.pdf

Link for complete workshop manual
Main Heading Goes Here

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'm guessing that your forester is a nonturbo? The motor you have is one of the earlier 2.0L turbo models (you can see the chimney heatshield over the turbo, which later models didn't have, and the different style turbo entry)

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
I'm guessing that your forester is a nonturbo? )

Ummmm, Profile says "2.0S" and posting in the 2.0L Turbocharged forum I'd guess on a 1999 2.0 S-Turbo EDM :biggrin::biggrin:

·
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
Some additional info...........

my village mechanic told me that the electronics of replacement engine was not compatible with my Forester.
Supplied engine is fitted with individual coil packs on each spark plug whereas your engine will have a single coil pack on the inlet manifold and spark plug leads.

To use this engine you would have to "mix and match" bits from your original engine to get it to fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 2.0 S turbo
69 Posts
I Went through a similar exercise with my S turbo.
You can use the motor if you change the heads.
You have to change the heads because you can not use the inlet manifold that came with the motor because the bolt pattern is deferent and the butterfly is to far back for your intercooler to fit.
If you are lucky the turbo fitted to the motor will be a TD05 which works nice if you don’t mind loads of turbo lag,
The motor I bought is fitted with pistons with square combustion chambers in and used 2mm head gaskets.
This combined with the S-turbo heads resulted in a much lower CR which should make it a lot safer for the inferior fuel we have to use in South Africa or more boost:icon_cool:.

After all this the electronics work although i am struggling with a gremlin in the ECU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts