Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started about 8 months ago or more. At first after driving the car on the highway over 100kph (60mph) for longer then 15 minutes the right rear of the car would begin to shake a bit... The shake became worse when I let off the gas. For awhile this was the only time the issue came up and in every other driving situation it worked perfect.

This went on for awhile but then started to get worse, the required speed became lower, lengh of time was shorter and the shaking got much worse till eventually it was to the point when after 2 minutes and 60 kph the shake was to bad to drive.

At that point I bought a diesel Jetta and parked the Subaru, now I'm driving the Subaru again do to a bad diesel tech screwing up the timing belt on my Jetta.

Not sure if the break or the colder temps are making it better but I've been driving it for 3 weeks and now it screws up after 20 minutes at 80kph.

I was told it was most likely the wheel baring.
I replaced the right rear wheel baring that only had about 60,000km on it and the left has less then 30,000. And the tires have been changed but it is no better.
I've also been told it could be bushings in the rear diff

can anyone confirm this? I'm at the end rope with this car that I love so much and if I can't figure it out soon it has to go.

Thanks in advance, Luke.

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
40 Posts
Could be several things. I would also consider having the bearings checked were the rear yoke inserts to the diff. Under certain loads it could create it to become out of balance just enough to create a slight vibration

·
Registered
1999 forester s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be several things. I would also consider having the bearings checked were the rear yoke inserts to the diff. Under certain loads it could create it to become out of balance just enough to create a slight vibration
Would that not be all the time?

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
40 Posts
Not in all cases. Pending on the amount of wear or play it could be only noticed under certain loads. I've seen in a couple cases where this has happened and most of the time it was noticed at highway speeds. Once again this just a possibility and also not a common one.

·
Registered
1999 forester s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not in all cases. Pending on the amount of wear or play it could be only noticed under certain loads. I've seen in a couple cases where this has happened and most of the time it was noticed at highway speeds. Once again this just a possibility and also not a common one.
Is that something that can be replaced or is it better to just get a used diff?

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
40 Posts
If it ends up being that you can easily have a new bushing pressed in. No need to replace the entire unit. Its actually a very easy repair and not very costly.

·
Registered
1999 forester s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info, what about the bushings or barings that are in the rear diff going out to the axles?
Are the easy to replace?

Sorry I don't know the right names for all the parts.

Luke.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
What I've always refered to as harmonic noise usually comes from something under load. I think you're on the right track looking at the rear end. Have you checked for play in u-joints or possibly a drive shaft out of balance? I believe a wheel bearing would have made itself more apparent by now. They do not get better.

·
Registered
1999 forester s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To say I'm not very handy would be an understatement. Of the many times I've tried to "fix" anything on a car I usually did more harm then good.
So I think I'm going to let someone else tackle it.

There is a place in Kingston called transmisions unlimited, they did a good job rebuilding the trans in my dads Dakota and there going to check it out for free.

·
Registered
1999 forester s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took the forester to the shop yesterday and they said the rear diff sounds fine but the tranny sounds pretty wore out.
He couldn't tell if that was the whole problem and he told me to keep driving it till it breaks or gets worse.

I don't like this idea honestly because it's my only car right now and I can't be with out a car.

The wreckers say there is no interchange between my 99 forester and anything else.

Does anyone know of any other year or model I could get the trans out of?

Thanks for the help, Luke.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
947 Posts
Could be an improperly installed wheel bearing. If they are not done right or it was left too long before changing, it may have damaged the hub, and pressing in a new bearing to the worn hub will only cause it to wear out prematurely. Could also be a rear propeller shaft(driveshaft) with bad universal joints. I have heard several people on here having to replace the whole shaft because of this and it could cause a vibration after it warms up.
I would take it to someone who knows Subarus better than a general transmission shop. I'm just wary that they diagnosed the problem as a bad tranny. It may even be something as simple as needing a fluid change in your transmission.
Just some other posibilities to check out. How many miles/kilometers on your '99 and do you know if any and what maintenance besides what you already stated has been performed on it?

·
Registered
1999 forester s
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry I didn't realize anyone replied, the car has 295,000km on it now. I bought it at 205,000km with a blown engine and in pretty rough shape.

Engine replaced and 205,000km plugs wires and valve cover gaskets were done around 220,000km, I have replaced all the wheel barings at one time or another with in the 90,000km I've put on it and the used diff was installed somewhere along the way. Proper oil changes but that's about all I can remember.

It's been the best little thing I've ever owned and even though I don't drive it nicely the forester hasn't given me much truoble aside from this.

My neighbour says the hanger baring is bad, could this be the problem?

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts