Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 WRX Limited
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are lots of engineers, technicians and generally smart forum members because I read the "What Do You Do" thread, so can someone please tell me what I need to use?
I did the Kicker speaker install today and it was a breeze except one of the plastic tabs on the inside of one of the rear door panels partially came off and I need to re-attach it. It's part of the (black in my case) plastic door panels that holds one of the eight little white fasteners that secure the panel to the door. It was definitely either glued or melted together at the factory (not molded). Anyway, the short question is, what kind of glue will stick to the kind of plastic that the door panels are made of? (I've never had any luck gluing this shiny/slick kind of plastic). Or, should I try to melt the plastic back together with a soldering iron?
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
'21 ISM Crosstrek Limited
1,177 Posts
If I had that problem, I'd first see what chemical "melted" the plastic, if any... acetone, etc.

Hopefully you can melt the plastic and fuse it back together. But if that didn't work, or even if it did, I'd employ mechanical restraints to back it up. That would involve whatever screw was appropriate, after first drilling its hole. If the piece(s) were too small/awkward for that I'd melt SS wire through in such a way to "sew" things together.

It's best if there is some melting of the plastic to help fuse the pieces together. But some plastics don't respond well... hopefully yours will. Mechanically screwing and/or sewing pieces together, however, always works, but takes forethought. I prefer melting the ss wire through as opposed to drilling for it. Done right it will be stronger than original.

About glues and adhesives... I never found them very successful for broken part repairs.

·
Registered
2017 WRX Limited
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had that problem, I'd first see what chemical "melted" the plastic, if any... acetone, etc.

Hopefully you can melt the plastic and fuse it back together. But if that didn't work, or even if it did, I'd employ mechanical restraints to back it up. That would involve whatever screw was appropriate, after first drilling its hole. If the piece(s) were too small/awkward for that I'd melt SS wire through in such a way to "sew" things together.

It's best if there is some melting of the plastic to help fuse the pieces together. But some plastics don't respond well... hopefully yours will. Mechanically screwing and/or sewing pieces together, however, always works, but takes forethought. I prefer melting the ss wire through as opposed to drilling for it. Done right it will be stronger than original.

About glues and adhesives... I never found them very successful for broken part repairs.
It's just two little spots (maybe 1/4 inch diameter each) that were "tacked" to the edge of the inside of one of the panels so not enough surface to attach mechanically.

·
Premium Member
2014 EFJ-01 CVT
18 Posts
3M Scotch Weld Epoxy Adhesive - DP420

Got a picture of the problem?

I've used this for plastic projects, works well. However, you've got the cost of the applicator, tips and epoxy. A bit spendy for just one project, although you may be able to justify it if you have other projects pending.

Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive DP420 - Shop3M

·
Registered
2017 WRX Limited
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a picture of the problem?

I've used this for plastic projects, works well. However, you've got the cost of the applicator, tips and epoxy. A bit spendy for just one project, although you may be able to justify it if you have other projects pending.

Scotch-Weld Epoxy Adhesive DP420 - Shop3M
Wow, that stuff is pricey! I could probably replace the door panel cheaper LOL.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
193 Posts
Doesn't "model glue" melt plastic pieces together, at least it seemed to when I built models. But that was 40 years ago.

Are you able to glue a separate piece of plastic to both the broken tab and the part of the panel it broke off of?

·
Registered
2017 WRX Limited
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Doesn't "model glue" melt plastic pieces together, at least it seemed to when I built models. But that was 40 years ago.

Are you able to glue a separate piece of plastic to both the broken tab and the part of the panel it broke off of?
The kind of plastic that models are made of is a hard plastic. Model airplane glue just slides off of this kind of plastic. Yes on the separate pieces of plastic but I need to figure out what glue will stick.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
193 Posts
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Maybe Gorilla Glue? They make a glue similar to Crazy Glue but they also have a multi-purpose one that is a dark brown color. It's strong and works on a lot of materials. You wet the surface first and then apply the glue. Use it sparingly as it expands when it dries.

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0 XT yes
2,752 Posts
Contact cement will pretty much stick anything together. Two-part epoxy is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
2017 WRX Limited
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Is the plastic I need to bond (door panel) probably ABS or would it more likely be polyethelyne? Will the panel be marked somewhere with what it is? I read somewhere that it's supposed to be labeled for recycling purposes.

·
Lifer
2015 Forester CVT
526 Posts
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive

I know there are lots of engineers, technicians and generally smart forum members because I read the "What Do You Do" thread, so can someone please tell me what I need to use?
I did the Kicker speaker install today and it was a breeze except one of the plastic tabs on the inside of one of the rear door panels partially came off and I need to re-attach it. It's part of the (black in my case) plastic door panels that holds one of the eight little white fasteners that secure the panel to the door. It was definitely either glued or melted together at the factory (not molded). Anyway, the short question is, what kind of glue will stick to the kind of plastic that the door panels are made of? (I've never had any luck gluing this shiny/slick kind of plastic). Or, should I try to melt the plastic back together with a soldering iron?
Thanks!!
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, Part number 08008.

I have never found any material that this product will not stick to.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S 4EAT
574 Posts
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, Part number 08008.

I have never found any material that this product will not stick to.
Oh god no! That stuff gets everywhere! Plus that stuff never really hardens. LOL :icon_wink: Lord Fusor 800EZ is the same way.

Maybe hot glue? LOL

9/10, manufacturers use ABS plastic for their door panels. You can plasi-weld it back together.

Urethane Supply Company - Plastic Repair and Plastic Welders
has a good selection of tools and adhesives, I'm going to get one of their plastic rod welding kits.

PlastiFix Kit (White) | PlastiFix Kits Here is a chemical kit.

Plastic Radiator Tank Repair Kit | New Products Here is the rod style welders.

DO NOT GET A HARBOR FREIGHT PLASTIC WELDER. I've gone through 4 of them on 1 project.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
Gluing door trim

I have had good luck using ABS plumbing glue for both PVC (#3) or ABS (#9 or #ABS) plastics which are the most likely ones used. It works fast and has some body to it. Should only be used in hidden areas since it is yellow.

·
Registered
2017 WRX Limited
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had good luck using ABS plumbing glue for both PVC (#3) or ABS (#9 or #ABS) plastics which are the most likely ones used. It works fast and has some body to it. Should only be used in hidden areas since it is yellow.
Well, I experimented today. ABS plumbers glue slid right off and acetone had no effect whatsoever. I guess that leaves one of the "poly" plastics. I think I'm going to try some of this: Loctite Plastics Bonding System from Loctite Adhesives
I don't guess I could get the whole panel replaced under warranty? Parts like door panels aren't supposed to break when you take them apart on a new car but I doubt I could convince Subaru of that. I'm sure if a dealer service department had broken it I'd never know it because they'd just put it back together with 7 fasteners instead of 8 and never say a word.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,988 Posts
Automobile interior panels are usually molded from a polypro type injection molded polymer…..and, as such, are very hard to bond to.

For the same reason, pressure sensitive labels and deco paint operations are hard to apply to polypro………they may stick at first but usually slough off very quickly.

Sorry that the news isn't better. There is an adhesive that MIGHT work for you….it's called PC7 and usually is sold in a cool two sided film canister-type of can….it's a two part-type glue, grey in color and used to be sold in stores showing a demo display that had a CocaCola bottle glued to a piece of steel, in turn glued to a golf ball and then to a metal part, to show the various types of material that can be adhered……..

PC7 is sold in some hardware stores, have NOT seen it in Home Depot BUT is available online……

I've used PC7 in automotive applications to glue grill together again. It is temperature resistant and can be machined, drilled, etc.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts