Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have developed this problem over the past couple days. ill be driving in 5th gear and all of a sudden my rpms will jump a couple thousand and i wont be able to accelerate at all. ill left off the gas , rpms will drop then ill be able to accelerate again. i don't know what this problem is. my best guess is maybe the clutch is slipping.... but im not familiar with clutches and how they work, please help me out!!!!!

tony

btw my01 forester sport 5 speed 192,400 miles.

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
^
What he said, sounds like a clutch problem. Any noises associated with it? Slipping or jerking on shifts and from a stop?

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
Does this problem occur in any other gear?
More importantly, are you accelerating in 5th when this happens, or are you just maintaining your current speed?

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
subie roo - negative nothing. shifts fine through every gear. and no noises whatsoever.

evildan - it happened in third today on the way home from grandmas house. it happens when im cruising and accelerating.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
If it's not popping out of gear then the clutch is probably slipping. I wouldn't go to far or make plans for a tow if it completely fails.

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its never popped out of gear. whats failed/failing if that happens? and i dont have money to have a shop do that , nor do i know how to replace a clutch myself. fml.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I'd agree. This does sound like a clutch if it happens in many gears. A buddy's mustang was on it's way out and did the same thing. Tried to accelerate too hard, and it would simply slip, shifting was rough, etc.

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does it matter if shifting is fine... its not rough nor does it grind going into any gears?

·
Registered
96 Legacy 250T
4 Posts
I think they are right on the money dude.You have described the classic symptoms of clutch slippage. The only other things it could be is a contaminated clutch plate caused by a leaking seal where oil has got onto the plate which would be obvious once you get under the car for a look. Or you have something that has wedged in by your footpedal or clutch lever or a faulty return spring and it isnt releasing all the way.

·
Registered
741 Posts
does it matter if shifting is fine... its not rough nor does it grind going into any gears?
That's right. When you have your clutch pedal depressed, the clutch is not touching the flywheel. It has nothing to do how smooth your shift linkage shifts into a gear or not.

Clutches are friction based, sort of like a brake pad, and they bite into the flywheel. What you are describing is that either your clutch is missing lots of friction material, OR, *less likely* your flywheel is heavily glazed, or both.

HOwstuffworks.com how a clutch works.
YouTube - How Clutches Work

The clutch disc will cost $150 or so as stated, which is very little. They will probably sugggest resurfacing the flywheel depending on what they find, which is good to do on top of the labor to already have your clutch worked on already. Might as well do it while they're in there.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
I'll make it simple. The clutch is probably wore out with 192,000 miles on it. If it fails completely the car will not move under it's own power. Let the clutch out and nothing will happen. It will seem like it's still in neutral. Once it starts slipping you have very little clutch left.

There is an outside chance that oil has gotten on the clutch as mentioned but you should see a significant leak. Either way the repair involves replacing the clutch since the oil will probably ruin the friction material (oil is kinda anti friction).

I don't think you are in any position to wait. Either fix it soon or park it.

·
Registered
99 Forester
29 Posts
Definitely a clutch. They will also go if you're beating on the car constantly ;)

The stock clutch on my 550hp mustang use to slip in every gear except 5th until I replaced it with a better clutch lol

·
Registered
01 forester sport
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright thanks guys for all the information. is it a pain in the donkey if you diy??

ps. the past three days my clutch has not slipped at all.....???

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
It's not tough if you have some equipment. I pulled the motor out when I changed the clutch in my old Legacy. Probably one of the easiest clutches I've ever changed on a front wheel drive vehicle. I replaced the engine and transmission in the Forester and both times it went very well.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,734 Posts
^^ Yep, pulling the engine is fairly simple in the Foz. Should only take about 4 hours or so, then replacing the clutch would be a piece of cake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts