Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Forester L 4EAT/TZ1A3
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain the plug and play trailer wiring? I ordered a hitch, ball mount, and ball but forgot to get the wiring. I looked at the photos and cant understand how the wiring is supposed to plug in. Looks like it takes a single plugin but then it would be missing a turn signal?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unless it has changed, it is a single plug that supplies power and is located in the spare compartment - check upper left or upper right sides. Little white plug about 1/2" square. Order the converter harness, about $75 tops and it plugs in AND handles 5 to 4 conversion for signals. Advantage is that if you have an older trailer with regular bulbs and the sockets fry out (experience) you only toast the converter harness. If it is a smaller trailer AND feasible, go to the big box of your choice (or below) and order a replacement light kit for the trailer that is all sealed LED. EASY swap..

ONE example of wiring https: // www. etrailer. com/ t1-2018_Subaru_Forester. htm These guys are the bomb. From St Louis area and usually hit the Chicago area in 2 days tops. Excellent customer service also.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Tour CVT
314 Posts
to expand a little.. that one plugin has the left turn, right turn, and brake light wiring at it.. so it will then split the signals going to the tail lights and send it to the trailer as well..

Very EZ install.. ebay or amazon has them.. should be around $30 i think

Brian

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
457 Posts
I used the factory's wiring harness. Plugs into an existing but unused white plug on the passengers side of the spare tire well. Just look for the harness closest to your knees when looking in the spare tire well, then look to the right for the plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts