Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL:

I know you've read it before in other threads, but I'm suffering with the worst bout of OCD over the annoying rattles and buzzing noises coming from the cheaply assembled interior of my '09. I have to say it upsets me to no end. Other then a '66 Mustang, I have never owned a vehicle that had as many annoying rattles on the interior as this NEW Forester. That being said, does anyone, ANYONE, have some troubleshooting advice for isolating the problem and then subsequently rectifying the problem? Here's what I'm up against:

1. I seem to be getting an annoying buzz/rattle from the passenger side door or perhaps the glove box. (I've already removed the retarded plastic baffles from both passenger and driver side doors so it's not that). I took everything out of the glove box and even rolled down the road with the glove box hanging open. The problem is that I only hear it over rough spots in the road, so... it's sometimes difficult to reproduce with consistency.

2. I hear a buzz/rattle coming from the center of the dash, perhaps somewhere around the radio.

3. I hear a buzz/rattle coming from the center console... I think. It's in the middle of the thing (I think)

4. I hear buzzing/rattle from the rear (no idea what's causing).

5. Recently I've discovered something in the way of the sunroof that rattles/buzzes when I have it open (again, no idea what's causing).

6. I hear a buzzing/rattle from the front doors when a heavy bass note hits ( I believe at a certain frequency).

So... alas I haven't had a chance to ride shotgun in my car while someone else drives and I listen... and hopefully locate these annoying noises.

Anyway, i'm open for suggestions, and hopefully you have some. Maybe some advice for when I finally ride shotgun. You know, tips for isolating where the noise is coming from, etc. Oh... and then a recommendation for remedy. Thanks in advance.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
I would suggest a friendly ride with the service manager from your dealership.

Offer to buy him a coffee while he rides in your Subie. Let him/her hear the noises.

Do not go yelling and screaming at him/her. They are very useful friends when things go wrong and will try very hard to make you happy.

Just my .02.
Oh on a funny note, be glad you get enough bass to rattle anything. ;) the stock stereo sucks

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would put mounting tape an all the friction clips of the doors and also on the other square white part (the part that touches door). With the friction clips I removed them, put a 1/2" by 1/2" piece of mounting tape where clip was and then slid clip back in. I did this today on my passenger door (and removed the baffle) and I get zero rattle or buzzing from the door. I will be doing driver door tomorrow. I got both of these ideas from boon4376. His write-up is here (with pictures):
Subaru Forester Speaker Install | Walkthrough | Guide A 'lil KnowHow

I don't know how to help you on the non-door rattles. My 2010 does not really rattle. I was only getting rattle and buzzing after I put an aftermarket stereo, amp, and speakers in (which created a lot more volume and vibration).

Good luck!

edit: I just realized that you were the person I recommended doing this on my thread. Did you try doing the friction clips?

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
963 Posts
Before you start ripping the interior to bits, remove your sunglasses from the roof holder. Then you'll be able to find the real rattles :icon_wink:

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
I find that earbuds are a very good sound isolation tool. Preferably with some music you enjoy. Life's too short to obsess over every little thing. Even if you fix the buzzing sounds now...in anotherr 5K miles, something else will buzz or rattle or thump...that is the nature of reasonable priced automobiles. If you want the complete luxury experience you need to step up into the $50,000 + range...............

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well for starters, a new Forester is not a cheap car. At $20K this is the most expensive vehicle I've owned to date, and the premise that only luxury cars are quiet is BS. R5oss, I don't have any sunglasses, but thanks for the advice, good look, I too read that thread. Fliptwister thanks for the advice. I took apart the passengers side door today and made the necessary mods. I also installed a piece of dynamat around the speaker and placed some foam tape where the door handle cables rest against the steel frame. I think I have the door pretty solid. I took waaaay too long doing it however. I'll probably tackle my driver side door in the near future. Btw, what's up with that plastic box thingy!? I put double sided tape underneath it as well. I was kinda disappointed when I removed the stock woofer. It looks decent... until you remove it and realize there's like nothing there! LOL. Oh well, I still plan on using the stock speakers in the beginning of my stereo upgrade but I may switch out shortly thereafter. I'll only replace the fronts if I do.

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more thing, there's a plastic covering under the glove box that covers up the blower motor and some other electricals. Well... it rides on top of the kickpanel, and I believe it was part of the problem sound. Anyway, I put some foam tape in a few key spots and well... we'll see. : )

·
Registered
159 Posts
sperrytpsd2009, your second door will go faster. I did my second door in about a half hour. I have no idea what the plastic box thing is for. You probably did not need Dynamat for the stock speaker but it can't hurt. The stock speakers and head unit are very average. You will be very happy when you upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts