Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 forester xte
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic corrugated sleeve that surrounds the front offside shock absorber is loose and rattles when the car is driven..... any ideas how to re secure and so stop this annoying noise and it hits both top and bottom shock absorber.....the other shock absorbers have this sleeve and it seems to be attached to the top mount.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
I believe the bottom is free floating on the strut, the top however should be secured(not sure how). I would imagine one could either pull the top down and smear some RTV on the inside of the cover and put it back, or put a zip-tie around the top of it to secure it.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Is it the dust cover your talking about?
In that case the oem dust cover I had did secure to the top through a small lip.
However the newer ones I now got don't have that so mine just sits there loose. No noise that I can notice anyway. How can it make much noise anyway. It's made of rubber.... not plastic

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
I believe the bottom is free floating on the strut, the top however should be secured(not sure how). I would imagine one could either pull the top down and smear some RTV on the inside of the cover and put it back, or put a zip-tie around the top of it to secure it.
That should work. But I would just put three of four small globs or dabs of silicone around the edges to avoid adhering the cover to the top of the strut.

·
Registered
06 forester xte
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shocker cover

Is it the dust cover your talking about?
In that case the oem dust cover I had did secure to the top through a small lip.
However the newer ones I now got don't have that so mine just sits there loose. No noise that I can notice anyway. How can it make much noise anyway. It's made of rubber.... not plastic
Yes its the dust cover, im sure its moving up and down as the car moves and is rattling you wouldnt think it would make the noise but believe you me it does, thats what i think it is nothig else seems to be causing it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The dust cover gets sandwiched between the strut top and the bumpstop on the strut shaft. If you pull it down it will just pull the bumpstop down on the shaft. You can just push the bumpstop back up and it should hold the dustboot up.

·
Registered
1998 subaru
26 Posts
The plastic corrugated sleeve that surrounds the front offside shock absorber is loose and rattles when the car is driven..... any ideas how to re secure and so stop this annoying noise and it hits both top and bottom shock absorber.....the other shock absorbers have this sleeve and it seems to be attached to the top mount.
If the noise is present with a replacement shock absorber, check that the mountings are tightened securely, and look for other worn suspension parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts