Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 6 speed manual & love it!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Forester Premium 2.5L with 106K and the dealer told me that I should be ready to replace the radiator in the upcoming months because the radiator usually cracks around 150K and if it does, it can cause enormous damage to the motor in seconds.

I'm wondering if there is an all-aluminum or metal alternative to the Subaru radiators? The Subaru plastic radiator replacement is over $700 which is completely ridiculous for a piece of plastic!!! I see aluminum core radiators for $150 but they have plastic tanks. I'm wondering if there is an all-metal radiator/all aluminum radiator I can replace the radiator with for a fraction of the price? The dealer said there was a Japanese company that makes them, but I didn't get the name. Yoko or something like that?

Thanks.
Bill

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,028 Posts

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,749 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
822 Posts
I would imagine lots of members will chime in about radiator failures on their late model Foresters - if it is a real issue . . .

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,342 Posts
My 2010 Forester still has the factory radiator at 211k miles. I don't recall radiators being a problem on the SH and SJ generations based upon postings on this forum.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wow, a dealer service advisor lied? I am just shocked!! First of all, if the radiators were really a problem, there would be a ton of unhappy owners whining about same and there would be a ton of threads about the issue as well. Second of all, if your radiator cracks and starts leaking coolant, the chance of it doing "damage in seconds" is practically zero. If it did have a catastrophic loss of coolant you would see a cloud of steam coming from the engine and would stop the car. The engine would not overheat to the point of significant damage in that situation. The dealer is just trying to sell you a part you don't need at an outrageous OEM price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts