Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

What is everybody using to keep their black plastic, black - especially the roof rails, handles and mirrors. The plastic infront of the windscreen is generally okay for a few months.

The other bits keep fading to that horrible grey colour and no matter what I try it still fades back in a few weeks. Have tried Armourall, back to black, Meguiar's and Autoglym.

It wouldnt be too bad if it faded evenly but it fades in patches, especially the door handles and mirror brackets. I could just leave them to fade to grey, but I hate grey looking plastic, makes it look cheap and crappy.

Whats everyone else using?

mike

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
The only thing i've used (and with the same limited success you've had) is stoner trim shine.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I gave up, but amorall is what I've used.. and continue to use but I don't try very hard since the original owner really never put any protectant on

·
Odd Sod
2004 Forester XT 5MT
89 Posts
Boeing 303. I've done a lot of detailing (my own cars) over the years, and this stuff works pretty good. Doesn't seem to need as much re-application as some of the other brands.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
303 Aerospace Protectant for the win! You can use it on anything and everything plastic or rubber; interior panels, roof racks, headlight lenses, door seals, leather seats, even down to the tires. It conditions and protects from UV rays. Also, it doesn't have the annoying glossy shine of Armor-All and won't fog up your windshield after you apply it to your dashboard.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Definatly 303........best stuff ever invented. Use it on your interior as well, dash, seats, trim, everything. I usually reapply it every 4 months or so, works great and doesnt leave that shiny wet look like armorall.

EDIT: Oops, just realized I pretty much repeated everything pleiad said. :p

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
And you can find it in about any Ski or outdoor sports store. (EMS here in NJ). My buddy intoduced me to this 5 or so years ago. He uses it to protect just about everything....even his Kayak.

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,686 Posts
You guys have me sold on it, one question though. Does it make eveything really slipery like ArmorAll? ArmorAll also collected dust. Does this do it too? I actually stoped using anything because of that.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
This does make the sufaces slippery, but it's not a 'wet' slippery like any of the other 'protectants'. It's more like a harder wax finish. Very Nice.

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
870 Posts
I use this for all my plastic pieces it doesnt fade them and it is AMAZING!
You have to clean you plastic less and less And it keeps it looking glossy for like 2 weeks( in snowy michigan weather) I wonder what it would look like in the hot sun of the desert.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11545

Griots garage is a great place!

J

·
0 Posts
I've had real good luck with the Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant. You can use it on interior and exterior vinyl, plastic, and rubber. It lasts a long time, even on the vinyl cladding around the outside bottom of my wife's 2003 Subaru Forester.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Black Again is really awesome stuff. I buy all my stuff from Autogeek. Klasse is my fav polish/protectant, which I normally follow with P21S carnauba. I use Poor Boy (non-glossy) UV protectant stuff for my interior and Black Again for all the black stuff outside.

Last year, a cop pulled me over in my 96 Accord and the thing looked so good that he asked me if I was sure it was a 1996 since he had never seen a practically 10-year-old car look so new.:D

http://www.autogeek.net/

·
Registered
116 Posts
303 Space Age Protectant

This is THE stuff to use and is way better than Armorall.
Have used it on our RV, cars and motorcycle for years. My 11 year old 525i rubber is like new.....!

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
Black Again is what you need.
It's not easy to find, but works best - especially on those parts that are made of black plastic/rubber (like old-school bumper guards, trim, etc).
Black Again - not greasy, slick or Silicone.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Forester 2.5X
243 Posts
I realize the thread is old but I'm sure it is something that comes up again and again so I'll add .02 for those of you on a budget.

There might be something cheaper and closer at hand. I once saw something about using peanut butter to revive old rubber/plastic that is faded, dried and discolored. Now I did a quick search just to confirm and did find several references but more directly related to removing excess wax residue from trim. I never tried it myself but I figure that if you're in a position to need it you might want to spot check and see if it works.

On this post (Help! Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax screwed me! - Autopia.org) there's an explanation of how to go about it:

I have had good luck with peanut butter
but there are a few tricks to it

first you must use natural PB(the kind that seperates)
because the regular PB most of the peanut oil is extracted and replaced with veg oil

next spread it on and let it dwell fot 15-20 min.
then scrub with a brush(toothbrush works well)
then scrub with terry cloth
last wash as normal to remove residue
I've seen a couple of references to the trim reacting to the oil in the butter and mineral oil has been suggested as an alternative that can be applied with a q-tip and buffed 30 seconds later.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,011 Posts
I ran out of 303 and I can't find it locally so I started using Mother's Back to Black. It does the job real nice.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,527 Posts
I used "Armor All" low gloss, but it didn't seem to last long when used on the exterior. It also left an oily film that collects dust. Next I tried Griot's Garage "Vinyl & Rubber Dressing", but to tell you the truth, it looks exactly like "Armor ALL", just cost more! What I use now is Mother's "Back to Black". This stuff is great, low gloss & looks great on tires or anything else that you need to restore or protect. It seems to get better & better with each application.!

Bobby...

·
Registered
03 XS
19 Posts
I ran out of 303 and I can't find it locally so I started using Mother's Back to Black. It does the job real nice.
I haven't checked, but Schucks and Boater's World are supposed to carry it locally. I bought mine from properautocare.com when I ordered my Klasse AIO and Glaze.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts