Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Toronto Canada and have Forester 03 with about 70K km on it.
I have a plan to spend some 10-14 days in May-Oct to drive around some interesting places in US. Family, kinds, pets, aquarium fish, guinea-pig, mother-in-law etc are to be left home so I'm pretty confident to hit about 8-10Kkm for this period :) Especially if there are two drivers, if I find another crazy one :)
I’ve never been in US before.
So I have a ton of questions while planning this thing. Major ones are:
-where to go? places I have in my mind are: mount rushmore, grand canyon, golden gate bridge in San Fancisco. Gateaway Arch in St.Louis, Hoover Dam, Death valley, New York, Boston. Is something else I must see?
I’m planning to stay away of major cities if it’s not necessary to save time and because it’s easier to go there by plane directly some time in the future. I would prefer to go to some “hard to reach” places so driving worth it. I want to see the country and nature.
-Anything I must know about driving and roads there. I believe I need 87 or regular type of fuel over there? Is there some country-wide brand I may stick to and have no worry about? Things like good/bad, toll/free roads. Very sparsely populated areas – do I need to carry extra gas, food, water for this? Theft, crime? Danger wild life? Maybe I have to get some medical shoots before? Motels or camping cites etc? Cell coverage, GSM 1900 in particular? I have GPS unit so supposedly shouldn’t have any problems of getting a direction anywhere. Any store name I should keep in mind for parts, accessories, liquids etc for Forester?
-I’m planning to have maintenance service for 96Kkm before I hit the road. So should I worry much about car’s ability to stand it? What do I have to care about at first place? Also is there a risk to hit an extreme weather in some places – too hot, too dusty etc. What about road assistance? I guess CAA is not known there?
-Time. Mostly because of weather. In August/September I’m afraid of bad weather especially at east coast like it was in last Summer and we have nice gas prices since then :). But probably it affects areas close to the shore and is not so bad in mainland. In July – it’s probably very hot in many territories. I’m sort of northern person and temperatures above 30C melt me badly :). So maybe Sept/Oct?
-Has anybody done something similar? Is there a club or some association that maybe plans group trips and I may join them? Or maybe somebody wants to join me? For full trip or for part like from A to B. I think 2-3 cars and 4-6 people is an optimum.

I would greatly appreciate any input in this regard.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
So many questions! but I'll be happy to help you out with what I can

SO far as fuel goes, any gas station (to my knowledge) is fine, our fuel is usually at a lowest 87 octane (fully labeled) with choices like "premium" which is a higher octane (maybe around 90-92) but it comes at a bit more expensive price

Some sites I would recomend.. after mt. rushmore go around to the state of washington.. the ho hum rainforest is a pretty neat place to be and seattle is a pretty cool city too (if you wanted a city around there)

Yosemitee is a beautiful place to visit, I was there a coupe years ago and would do the same trip again!

I really wish I could help you out more, and If I can think of anything to add to my list I'll keep it updated

=the Senor.. su.. paul

feel free to swing by wisconsin inbetween somewhere :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes. Good point about rainforest. I've heard there are tallest trees there but didn't know where is it.

Another thing I'm thinking about now is to rent a car and have no pain about it. It's starting from 200/week for economy class + unlimited kms. But it's not that fun as to picture my subie in the middle of some desert or in a rocks. :(

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,439 Posts
There are really large redwoods in california you should check out!

I've thought about taking a state trip for this summer.. but there's no way I'd take it in anything but my subaru)

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
Take your scoob!

If you do make it toward death valley hit me up. I can take you around there, Joshua Tree natl monument, Tijuana, You wanna see Sedona or something like that I'll be more than happy to trip around with you for a while. Or if you are going up to the redwoods I'll come up and keep you company. I'm kinda in the same position I'm just trying to save up some cash to do it.
There's lots of stuff here in the states to see and do and it's not a big deal. It's alot like your neck of the woods. Some people suck! Some cops should be locked up, and the roads well you'll see. They can be great or non existant. Bring a sleeping bag, some clothes, a camera, and a few powerbars, you'll be alright.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Join us for our annual Northern California meet on May 13! It'll be an epic event this year with some unforgettable roads and scenery. We'll have people traveling from Nevada, Arizona, and Southern California for this event, so I think we should be able to accommodate someone from Canada as well! :grin:

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
910 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Join us for our annual Northern California meet on May 13! It'll be an epic event this year with some unforgettable roads and scenery. We'll have people traveling from Nevada, Arizona, and Southern California for this event, so I think we should be able to accommodate someone from Canada as well! :grin:
I think we can consider Canada as "Extreme Northern California" in this case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
US Trip

10 to 14 days is not a long time to see the USA. I am planning a trip this summer with my two boys to the east coast from California, and due to my job I am taking only two weeks off and don't know how I can fit it all in. It's a lot of driving, but they are curious about the rest of the country. I will be driving a southern route out there and a northern route back.

Earlier in the summer is better. It is cooler, and greener. Many peopel plan trips just after school is out in the end of May and especially in June. If you want to see any of the Major State Parks it is better to plan ahead. Yosemite is usually booked in the summer months and you need reservations. Last I heard they only let a certain number of cars in during a day, then they turn the rest away.

A nice place to see is Utah. Zion, and Brice National Parks. and then there is Bonneville salt flats, you can take the Sub on a test drive acrost the salt flats. I took the van last year just for fun. The center of the states are OK, but there are Corn fields for miles and miles, like Manitoba. The Rockies are Quite a site West of Denver

By the way. I think that CAA and AAA are affiliated, and you can get the same service, check with CAA to find out.

Cell phone coverage with GSM 1900 is good here. Cingular has a large network, and other companies like Verizon are going to GSM as well.

Gas. Chevron is my favorite and it is nearly Country wide. It contains Tecron Fuel additive in it, so if you use it you don't need to add Tecron fuel additive. I drove my Dodge Caravan 160K miles in 4 years on it and only took it to the shop for Oil, Tires and Brakes.

I have driven in Canada a bit and have found that it is quite similar to here. You will feel at home except that everything is in Miles, and English, and Farenheit.

Have Fun

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Lots of questions indeed! :)

With a GPS, you have will have no worries. Best traveling technology yet IMHO. Save me a great deal of time planning my days. There are plenty of gas stations on any highways so you will never need to worry about gas. Just mapped them on your GPS unit.

If you are in it to see nature, staying away from big cities is a good idea. But there are two cities in the east that is worth wild. New York and Washington D.C. While you are in South Dakota for Mt. Rushmore, definitely visit Crazy Horse Memorial. It dwarfs Mt Rushmore and only 20 miles away. I spent 30 minutes at Mt Rushmore but a full day at Crazy Horse Memorial. Yosemite Park should be your next stop heading west. Montana and Idaho are well known for spectacular sceneries. If you love mountain ranges and the natural rain forest, Washington State should be on your list. Mount St Helens is worth the drive. The Washington, Oregon, and California coast would be a great scenic route during the summer and early fall.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Sometimes it's not the destination, rather the drive there that makes a trip worthwhile.
I suggest you incorporate at least some of the following roads into your trip:

EAST COAST:
Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive
Natchez Trace Parkway
Chessapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel
US-1 (Miami-Key West)

WEST COAST:
Old Route 66
I-70 (West of Denver)
I-10 (TX-CA)
Pacific Coast Highway

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the loose itinerary you've submitted, you might want to look at a northern route in with an outbound southern return up I-44 / Old Route 66. If you decide to visit Mt. Rushmore, you might consider Deadwood, S.D., Devils Tower (N. of Sundance, WY), Custer Battlefield in Montana just north of Sheridan, Wy, do the "figure 8" route in Yellowstone coming back Hwy 267 through Landers, WY from Moran Jct. at the Teton N.P., jump down to Flaming Gorge N.P. into Vernal, UT (Dinosaur N.P.), keep heading south to The Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef then Hwy 12 west into Bryce Canyon & Zion areas. The scenic drive on Hwy 12 into Bryce is something to see with all of the colors & it's not a straight drive...really scenic :). From Bryce / Zion you can head down to Lake Powell towards the North & South Rims of the Grand Canyon...or cut across the Salt Flats from Salt Lake City to Northern CA & S.F. & hit the Grand Canyon & the Southern Utah Parks / scenic drives back through Colorado on I-70 & take in Royal Gorge, Rocky Mtn. N.P., etc. bypassing the southern I-44 route through the southern Plains...because I think you're going to run out of time to peel off on I-40 to make the Smokies back up the Blue Ridge Pky... :) Oh, make your reservation early in the morning at the visitors center if you want to take the elevator up into the Arch in St. Louis. Oh, I left out Glacier N.P. (Montana / Canadian Border), etc....etc.....etc.....doing the Western trip can take 2 weeks alone & still not do it justice & I left out all of the cave National Parks from Jewell & Wind in S. Dakota down to Carlsbad to Mammoth in KY. If you go from mid-August on, vacation traffic starts to dwindle..enjoy your trip!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh. I have more then 20 points in my route now, even when focused on west coast only. I should probably leave east for another trip then.

What about US police? Are they tough on speeding? Up here when there is 100 posted you may go 120 and looks like nobody cares. I believe there are no fines for speeding less then 15 kmph. Is 55mph is general speed limit in US? Driving from Vancouver to Calgary last summer I saw a 110 for some highways and drove 130 mostly and even 170 but that was too hard for me and car especially going uphill. It's not like I'm a racer and it is not a good idea for a long run but going 105 instead of 90 can save me about an hour in a day.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Be on the lookout for cops in California... The CHP is otherwise known as the state budget revenue enhancement division. :wink: Supposedly officers have been ordered to write a minimum of 3 tickets per hour now, and they are EVERYWHERE on the major highways, so bring along a decent radar detector. You should be fine as long as you keep things within 10 mph over the limit, or go with the flow of traffic. The freeway speed limit here is 65 mph in most places (75 mph on I-5).

·
Registered
59 Posts
alexmolin said:
Oh. I have more then 20 points in my route now, even when focused on west coast only. I should probably leave east for another trip then.

What about US police? Are they tough on speeding? Up here when there is 100 posted you may go 120 and looks like nobody cares. I believe there are no fines for speeding less then 15 kmph. Is 55mph is general speed limit in US? Driving from Vancouver to Calgary last summer I saw a 110 for some highways and drove 130 mostly and even 170 but that was too hard for me and car especially going uphill. It's not like I'm a racer and it is not a good idea for a long run but going 105 instead of 90 can save me about an hour in a day.
The general rule of thumb is anything 7 or more over the speed limit you're subject to a stop & / or citation. In many areas you'll get run over with the flow of traffic running at greater speeds - use good judgement. There have been times driving in Wyoming, not on the Interstates for example, where I was at 110 mph & Iwas consistently passed by all the truck traffic - up the Divide.
Whatever you do, I would check your speed in small towns & DO NOT ever exceed the posted speed in any of the Naional Parks - absolutely NO Tolerence.
Wise decision breaking up the trips into regions. To see the upper & lower loops in Yellowstone & quick pass through theTetons alone is a minimum of 3 days just to highlight it.

·
Premium Member
07 x auto
147 Posts
Most of I-80 through Nevada is 70-75. Just east of Reno the NHP also has the airplane checking speeds.
They mostly leave you alone up to about 7mph over. But as said before DO NOT exceed the limits aproaching and leaving the little towns--that is there source of income. Have a good trip.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Yellowstone Natl Park,simply breathtaking.

I would skip Mt Rushmore, it was a bit dissapointing.

Also check out the Badlands of South Dakota, another must see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep, if you make & drive through the Badlands near Rapid City, you might as well stop at Wall Drug while you're in the area... :)
Before the Vistors Center was constructed at Mt. Rushmore, you would just pull over in a turn out area off the 2 lane, walk a few yards & look up then get back into your car & leave...the service exit on the west side is the old highway, fwiw.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Yosemite is great, as is Yellowstone. Both can suck up a number of days. Grand Canyon is good but really only needs a day.

The big thing is that coming from Toronto these are going to be a very long drive to even get there and not a lot of interesting stuff in between!

If you want to drive your own car (rather than fly/drive) then Id suggest sticking more to the east coast, its closer and you will get more bang for your miles.

Now I know you are probably say "what would a bloody aussie know" (ok you probably wouldnt say bloody!) - but Ive done some driving in the US and Canada. Done Chicago-Toronto return. Done Boston - Montreal - Ottawa - Toronto - Boston. Also done a 3 week Vegas - Grand Canyon - Yellowstone - Yosemite trip with a number of other interesting places thrown in. Yes that was an amazing trip and well worth doing, but you wont do it justice driving from Toronto as you will lose a few days each way just getting to Yellowstone. Save that for flying in to say Vegas and out of San Fran.

Id say head to Boston and then work your way down to New York and on to Washington and then head back (maybe inland a bit). This wont have the natural beauty of the parks in the west but you will get to see some amazing places.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very good points Dicknose & there are a lot of things to see, do & eat down the east coast to D.C. I had the chance of making a trip to AUS / NZ this year but didn't have the time to do it justice - opted for a cruise to Alaska & land trip to Denali...this time...for a much needed vacation without being rushed.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
AlexMolin-
My first scan of your post passed by 10-14 days...I don't think you realize how big the US is. I couldn't show you California in 10-14 days, so you may want to rethink your time constraints.
I initially read May-October, and was thinking what a grand adventure, as 6 months would provide a short but reasonable period of time to pass through many of the places you mentiioned and others have tossed in. But obviously, that's too long to rent a car at 200/week.
You may want to select one area, drive there direct, and then spend a week getting to know it. With your summer season chosen, and a 30 degree Celsius limit, that eliminates about two-thirds of the US...personally, I think your best bet is to accept Pleiad's invitation to join their Northern California meet...being a native northern Californian myself, I can attest to the high quality of scenery, natural environments, curvy roads and kind people.
-Quick

1 - 20 of 32 Posts