Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XTL
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installation of Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT in 2009 XT

just to give a little backround on my system, i am running the stock radio in my 09 XT limited. i upgraded the stock speakers to Polk db's and added a JL audio sub (tapped into the rear speakers for sound and used an LOC). the next thing i plan to do is to add the Pioneer and i want to be sure that my ducks are in a row before doing this install. here is everything i want from the HU:

- gps
- retain steering controls
- ipod controller

here is what i don't want to use on the HU:

- bluetooth - prob old fashioned here, but i do not want my music interrupted by a phone ringing through the speakers. i always screen calls when in the car, and if i need to answer, i will mute the radio and pick up my phone. also, i can't find a spot for the mic that i like. i don't want it visible at all. UPDATE: i decided to install the mic on the steering column (as shown in the Subaru instructions for installing bluetooth on the factory navi). that way, if i want to use it in the future, it is set up.
- rear camera - not needed/interested
- satellite radio - not interested at this time, but FYI, there is at least one post in here about someone mounting the satellite radio antenna next to the GPS antenna, under the dash, behind the clock. that's where i would try it 1st, for stealth purposes.
- HD radio

here's what i've gathered so far for the installation:

- i'll get 2 wire harnesses that i'll have to splice together - one end to the car, one end into the HU. UPDATE: i used the harness from SVXdc. there are 3 wires left over, not used, after splicing together. the 2 CANBUS wires and the illumination wire.
- i also get a kit for the dash that i'll have to mount the HU to. someone suggested getting the JDM bezel because it looks nicer. from SVXdc: "Replacement JDM fascia: Japanparts 360-020-001 Costs more than $100, but looks cleaner."
- the pioneer ipod adapter plugs right into the new HU and i'll run that into the glovebox
- the steering wheel adapter from PAC has 3 wires that i'll need to splice into the wiring harness for the stereo (is this right, and if so is there a description of exactly which wires i need to splice into?), and also has a plug for the wired remote input on the HU. from what i've read, programming this can be a pain, but if i follow the instructions, i should be good.
- the gps antenna plugs right into the unit and i can mount the antenna behind the clock in the dash (can i get to this spot through the hole where the stereo was, or do i have to remove the dash? UPDATE: Yes - someone mounted the antenna between the insulation and plastic of the dash.)
- i plan to cut the wires that i ran to my aftermarket amp in the cargo area and reroute new RCAs from the output on the HU.

stuff i am not sure about:

- do i need a special adapter for antenna? UPDATE: yes - i'm getting mine from SVXdc.
- need to ensure that i utilize the antenna amplifier, which i cannot connect to by using the supplied harnesses UPDATE: SVXdc mentioned that this can be done by splicing together a wire that comes on his harness with a wire in the harness for the pioneer unit.
- need to tap into VSS wire so that the gps knows my car's speed - where is the wire? UPDATE: someone on NASIOC said that this was not necessary. he didn't tap into the VSS wire and said he has no issues with the GPS. UPDATE 2:

here is the be all end all information on locating the vss wire in an 09 forester. thanks to lupohki for posting the pic on iwsti.com. here is the pic and a link to the thread:

pic:
Imageshack - vsscj9.jpg

post #16:
Variable Speed Sensor wire VSS - Page 2 - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

what you need to do (or what i did anyway):
1- follow instructions to remove glovebox:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/diy-2009-forester-cabin-filter-replacement-59650/
2- pull lower cowl (right below the glovebox) off - there are 3 snaps holding it in. gotta pull hard. i removed the passenger side kick panel to gain leverage on the far right snap.
3- on the left just behind where the lower cowl was, there is a white harness - see pic in the iwsti thread
4- use some scissors to cut up into the black tape to free up the wires.
5- pull the pink/green wire aside (far left, 2nd from top)
6- vampire clip that sum'***** with the wire running to your navi HU for VSS
7- profit!

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
One thing to remember is to run a wire to activate the factory antenna amplifier. I dont remember the wires I connected, but if you search on this site or a wrx site you will find the answer.

The PAC stearing wheel control looks intimidating but just follow the instructions and you will be good. I found good instructions on there website. You might have to look up a different model such as impreza if the forester isnt listed. You might need an antenna adapter I know on My 09 FXT Base model it required an adapter.

I would recommend the HD tuner also I think I paid $50 on amazon.com for mine and I really enjoy it. The sound quality is nice and you can really tell a difference when it is on.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XTL
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing to remember is to run a wire to activate the factory antenna amplifier. I dont remember the wires I connected, but if you search on this site or a wrx site you will find the answer.

The PAC stearing wheel control looks intimidating but just follow the instructions and you will be good. I found good instructions on there website. You might have to look up a different model such as impreza if the forester isnt listed. You might need an antenna adapter I know on My 09 FXT Base model it required an adapter.

I would recommend the HD tuner also I think I paid $50 on amazon.com for mine and I really enjoy it. The sound quality is nice and you can really tell a difference when it is on.
thanks. i'll try to keep updating my thread as i get info. i added that i need to somehow tap into the antenna amplifier. once i figure out which wire goes where, i'll add that info and then move it from the stuff i'm not sure about section to the section above it in my post.

currently, not interested in HD radio. actually, i haven't listened to the radio in a car in prob 10 years. but thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2009 FXT
202 Posts
How are you going to be splicing your wires? I would recommend soldering and shrink wrapping all our conections, and then get zip ties and pull all the wires together. Keeping all your wires tidy really helps if you run into any issues and also helps to prevent any.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XTL
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are you going to be splicing your wires? I would recommend soldering and shrink wrapping all our conections, and then get zip ties and pull all the wires together. Keeping all your wires tidy really helps if you run into any issues and also helps to prevent any.
i always use wire tap-ins or bullet plugs. i am not capable of soldering. and for this install, i think the zip ties will be a must.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
All of the various manufacturers' 20-pin install harnesses include the pin/wire to activate the Subaru's antenna booster amp, so nothing special will be needed there -- just connect that wire to the Blue 'auto antenna' wire on the AVIC's harness.

Many of them now include the ground wire (used only on Subarus -- the Nissan car's harness does not have it, hence the reason the harness manufacturers initially omitted it).

I'm pretty sure your 2009 will require an adapter for Subaru's proprietary antenna connector. You might want to pull your radio and look to be sure.

You should be able to reach behind the clock by removing just the OEM HU.

Subaru places the OEM GPS antenna above the instrument cluster (speedometer, etc.), but I don't know if that location is accessible without opening up more of the dash. When you have your radio out, see how far to the side you can see/reach :icon_biggrin:

As doogle said, installing the PAC interface is very straightforward. While it has a bunch of extra wires you won't use, for Subarus there are only three you'll connect: +12V Accessory, Ground, and one of the car's two SWC wires (you'll need to tie the car's second SWC wire to ground).

The rear cargo amp takes a mono input. You can connect to the 8-pin harness behind the HU to send the AVIC's sub out to the OEM sub (so no need to run new cables to the rear).

You don't mention your Forester's center console aux input jack. Do you want to connect that to an input on the AVIC? The wires for that are on the same 8-pin harness that has the wires for the sub.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XTL
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of the various manufacturers' 20-pin install harnesses include the pin/wire to activate the Subaru's antenna booster amp, so nothing special will be needed there -- just connect that wire to the Blue 'auto antenna' wire on the AVIC's harness.

Many of them now include the ground wire (used only on Subarus -- the Nissan car's harness does not have it, hence the reason the harness manufacturers initially omitted it).

I'm pretty sure your 2009 will require an adapter for Subaru's proprietary antenna connector. You might want to pull your radio and look to be sure.

Subaru places the OEM GPS antenna above the instrument cluster (speedometer, etc.), but I don't know if that location is accessible without opening up more of the dash. When you have your radio out, see how far to the side you can see/reach :icon_biggrin:

As doogle said, installing the PAC interface is very straightforward. While it has a bunch of extra wires you won't use, for Subarus there are only three you'll connect: +12V Accessory, Ground, and one of the car's two SWC wires (you'll need to tie the car's second SWC wire to ground).

The rear cargo amp takes a mono input. You can connect to the 8-pin harness behind the HU to send the AVIC's sub out to the OEM sub (so no need to run new cables to the rear).

You don't mention your Forester's center console aux input jack. Do you want to connect that to an input on the AVIC? The wires for that are on the same 8-pin harness that has the wires for the sub.
thank you, SVXdc. see comments below

i think i get it, when i am splicing the 2 harnesses together, i just connect these 2. done.

from what i've read on here, i am pretty sure i will need it. but yeah, i'll have a look.

excellent.

will do, but from what i have read on here, people are getting full reception under the dash behind the clock. i'll prob take the path of least resistance that works. :icon_biggrin:

sorry i wasn't clear on this one. i have an aftermarket amp and sub.

You don't mention your Forester's center console aux input jack. Do you want to connect that to an input on the AVIC? The wires for that are on the same 8-pin harness that has the wires for the sub

if it's ungodly easy, maybe. if it involves splicing, i prob won't. i have never used it. i use the ipod connection exclusively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts