1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Howday! and welcome!

just give me a secerooo and i'll listen

I'm not aware of problems with the newer sg's and piston slap

but I've got a similar sound on my 99, but my ticking is more of a dry-er ticking (more metalic sounding)

Typical for a subaru IMO. but what do i know

Below is a link to my engine, figure it you can make the connection to the noise

http://media.putfile.com/Clatter-SUBARU

http://media.putfile.com/Q53

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
mine sounds a lot like SenorSubie. most N/A subaru have a sound like that

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Here's a little blurb on Subaru engine noises that I found posted on NASIOC a while ago:

Why does my car sound funny/unusual/like a diesel truck?
Horizontally opposed engines (AKA Boxer motors) emit exhaust noises that are entirely different from engines of different configurations. It has been described as like a VW, diesel engine, ticking, or knocking sound at speed and especially at idle. The "boxer sound" is unique and is common on other engines of the same type. Additionally, the sound may be louder or more pronounced during start up. This Subaru .pdf document details specific start-up noise information on page 1 and 3. This Subaru .pdf document and this Subaru .pdf document also detail engine noise.

I've also attached these documents in case the links die.

Attachments

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
We have the same thing on start up......nothing to worry about. :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks RE: piston slap on 03 Forester

Thank you for listening, providing feedback and reassurances.
There so much info on the web, many have fought for piston and shortblock replacements.
While the knowledge of having this loose tolerance on my engine is disconcerting, I don't think having a dealer tearing it down would lead to any better outcome.

It is just darn annoying to hear.

I guess though, if you tack it up to 7 grand like senior, you don't hear it anymore.:wink:

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
trailnimal said:
Thank you for listening, providing feedback and reassurances.
There so much info on the web, many have fought for piston and shortblock replacements.
While the knowledge of having this loose tolerance on my engine is disconcerting, I don't think having a dealer tearing it down would lead to any better outcome.

It is just darn annoying to hear.

I guess though, if you tack it up to 7 grand like senior, you don't hear it anymore.:wink:
For us, this problem is only noticable on start up for roughly 30+ seconds. I noticed it has been reduced slightly since we switched to synthetic oil. :cool:

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Whoops Just realized that the second clip I posted was of my friends Q.. which has about an extra.. say.. 150 horsepower than mine

Damn that thing is fast..

And NO.. my forester isn't faster

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 6sp man
10 Posts
I've been complaining 'bout piston slap on my '03 since I got it. A month ago, I took it into my dealer and did the ritual complaint, adding that someone mentioned to me that they weren't aware that Subaru made a diesel. When I picked it up two days later (away on a business trip...) they said they had just finished putting new pistons in. Then with the very cold temps we had... silencio! I've put about 1100 Km on since the repair and it is maintaining the same quiet... Time will tell though. Btw.. 77,000 Km, so still under warranty...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SOA inconsistantly addresses this problem

I'm glad Ted got his car fixed.
As for me, it's another winter of unbearable knocking.
Takes a full 1/2 hour to go away.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
419 Posts
In your sound clips, I can hear some metallic ticking noises reminding me of a rattling heat shield or some valves with excessive clearances. I can't hear any knocking or piston slap. Maybe it's just my crap speakers :shrug:

My 2 '06's are quiet and just have that boxer sound when accellerating. Characteristic of the flat four's firing order I presume. Pleasing to my ears!

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts