Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester CVT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to pismo beach this weekend. Instead of looking for parking in the pier, i would want to park in the beach near it. I have a 2017 forester 2.5 and needing some tips in driving in the beach.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
227 Posts
Pismo Beach has no parking on the beach/sand by the pier

There is no parking or driving on the sand adjacent to Pismo Pier. The nearest place you can drive onto the beach is The Oceano Dunes Entrance Station at the ocean side of W. Grand Ave. in Grover Beach ~ 1-1/2 miles south of Pismo Pier. There is a Pismo Pier beach front parking lot at the ends of Hinds Ave. and Pomeroy Ave.

Map of Downtown Pismo Beach Paid Parking Areas: http://pismobeach.org/DocumentCenter/View/48570

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT H-CVT
363 Posts
There’s some fun to be had up in the oceano dunes.

I want to go back and was thinking of just camping right on the beach Sand. I know it’s possible since this young couple did it a few days ago after I gave them advice to check the place out. They posted that they camped out and woke up to the ocean.

Does anyone know how I go about doing this? Is there a special permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
227 Posts
Call 1-800-444-7275 for Oceano DunesSVRA camping reservations

There’s some fun to be had up in the oceano dunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JGpsLZK1aA&feature=youtu.be

I want to go back and was thinking of just camping right on the beach Sand. I know it’s possible since this young couple did it a few days ago after I gave them advice to check the place out. They posted that they camped out and woke up to the ocean.

Does anyone know how I go about doing this? Is there a special permit?
Yes, a camping permit (camping reservation) is required to camp overnight in the Oceano Dunes SVRA. Campsite reservation information can be obtained by calling 1-800-444-7275. Campsites reservations are available year-round and can be made from 48 hours up to six months in advance. Reservations are highly recommended (especially for holiday weekends).

EDIT: Camping at the Oceano Dunes SVRA is limited to 1000 street legal vehicles per day. Camping reservations (especially for weekends) can fill up well in advance. https://www.reservecalifornia.com/CaliforniaWebHome/ Camping costs $10/night for 1 vehicle with up to 8 people. The check-in time is 2PM and the check-out time is 6PM.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring
62 Posts
I agree with airing down the tires a bit. If I understand the physics correctly, it will give you a flatter surface on the sand and more traction. We used to do the same thing on my Wrangler. Now, finding a beach you can drive on is a different story.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT CVT
279 Posts
Piano is amazing!!! My advice when driving in deep soft sand (like that Pismo sugar) NEVER LIFT!

Go fast and don’t stop! Momentum is critical and getting going on that stuff (especially if your barried AT ALL, or on even a slight incline) can be a mission.

I personally take two 1 foot wide x 10 foot long x 1 inch thick pieces of FRP grating and boy using these is so much better then digging! Basically huge bridging ladders that I only really use for soft surface recovery. Before I had these I just maybe my little brother grab the shovel...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts