Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, im in the mood to attempt some mechanicalisms, some lightweight stuff I think im just about capable of, and thought perhaps changing some hoses and pipes. Seem to remember there is a Y-Pipe that can be changed and also some pipe that goes between air filter and turbo.

Might changing these aid performance? The car is 10 years old, and in pretty good nick, but I feel like dabbling :)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Changing pipes should be fairly straight forward... but you might need some patience as some can be quite stubborn after a being on for years. The Y pipe is under the intercooler and a performance replacement is supposed to improve airflow - whether there is any noticable difference in performance is a matter for debate.

The other pipes are unlikely to improve performance but they're a nice way of tarting up the engine bay.

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing pipes should be fairly straight forward... but you might need some patience as some can be quite stubborn after a being on for years. The Y pipe is under the intercooler and a performance replacement is supposed to improve airflow - whether there is any noticable difference in performance is a matter for debate.

The other pipes are unlikely to improve performance but they're a nice way of tarting up the engine bay.
There's a ton of these y-pipes on ebay, I guess chinese things.. Are they any good, does it matter who makes them?

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
There's a ton of these y-pipes on ebay, I guess chinese things.. Are they any good, does it matter who makes them?
In my experience, you tend to get what you pay for - the cheaper ones may be OK but might not last as long or may be a less accurate fit etc. Probably OK though on all but highly tuned engines.

Samco are very good but are expensive. I seem to remember that someone on here recommended Viper Performance - High Quality Silicone Hoses

There's also a company on eBay called Demon Motorsport who are apparently OK.

I've no personal experience of either - it's something that's on my to-do list once I've sorted all the other bits and bobs I want to do.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
I used Samco for the Y pipe replacement, a bit fiddly but straightforward. The big airbox to turbo pipe is a Viper, no problems there either.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it worth doing Brian? Any effect at all, or none?

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Is it worth doing Brian? Any effect at all, or none?
It doesn't make a difference that is obvious BUT...on the '98 T/tb auto there is no way to remap YET !!!! Certainly when I did it the remap was just a lost cause so it was a case of trying little improvements to get air in better and out quicker to make the best of the engine JDM set up. The OE Y pipe is very convoluted and rough and a very hard plastic that will crack/split in time whereas the silicone is pliable. I reckon it was a good change.
Same applies to the airbox pipe, OE is hard, silicone isn't. I knew that I would be keeping the car a long time (now 8 yrs) so replacing OE with something longlasting made sense.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
It cant hurt to replace pipes. At least you'll know that none of them have any minor leaks. Just dont buy the garishly coloured ones, stick with black.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts