Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Limited CVT
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks! i found a good deal on the pioneer U310BT head unit for $240 (Al & Ed's Autosound with coupon code "pio60") and am trying to figure out which harness to buy. does the wiring harness make a difference since this is a gps/nav unit? will either of these work?

Scosche SU03B - Wiring Harnesses - Sonic Electronix
Receiver Wire Harness For select Saab, Subaru, and Suzuki models, 1995-up at Crutchfield.com

i was all set to buy a jvc kdr900 but figured for $40 more bucks i might as well get a double-din unit with nav and touchscreen!

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Presuming the unit comes with a standard wiring harness with iso plugs at the end. can't you just use one of these

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
I'd just go to Crutchfield and enter all your model info and find that HU on their site. Click "You'll save $XX.XX on installation gear." Check out the harness listed there, and buy it from SonicElectronix, they are almost always one of the cheapest sources. I imagine that may be what you've done up there ^^. If you're confident in the installation, buy it as cheaply as you can find it. If not, go ahead and get it from Crutchfield and also get their installation sheets, if info you find here on the forum is not sufficient for you.

·
Registered
1996 SVX
473 Posts
I ... am trying to figure out which harness to buy. does the wiring harness make a difference since this is a gps/nav unit? will either of these work?

[link to Scosche SU03B from Sonic Electronixs]
[link to Metra 70-8901 from Crutchfield]
Either would work -- they're equivalent. Since your car is a 2004, it uses Subaru's 14-pin harness for power and speakers (pin-out).

That will only take care of your HU's power and speaker connections. That Pioneer HU also has one more wire they want you to connect to the parking brake switch. Other nav HUs sometimes need connections to the foot brake and/or reverse gear.

+1 on buying the HU from Crutchfield if you think you might need questions answered during your install. Their tech support is top notch.

Presuming the unit comes with a standard wiring harness with iso plugs at the end. can't you just use one of these
[ISO to Subaru 14-pin adapter]
Here in the US, the radios don't have standard ISO connectors. The radio manufacturers provide a harness that plugs into the radio with bare leads on the opposite end. We have to buy a Subaru harness separately and solder or crimp the two harnesses together.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Here in the US, the radios don't have standard ISO connectors. The radio manufacturers provide a harness that plugs into the radio with bare leads on the opposite end. We have to buy a Subaru harness separately and solder or crimp the two harnesses together.
DOH. That's stupid. Having the ISO plugs is so much easier. Wonder why they don't have that over there..

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Limited
11 Posts
I just installed a U310BT in my '10 FXT in I really like it so far. I used the Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness for Nissan 07-Up that I bought from amazon.com. I had to take two pins from an old harness and put them into this one so I could install my PAC SWI-PS to keep my steering wheel controls. But I just read that yours is an '04 so I guess this response is moot anyways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed a U310BT in my '10 FXT in I really like it so far. I used the Metra 70-7552 Radio Wiring Harness for Nissan 07-Up that I bought from amazon.com. I had to take two pins from an old harness and put them into this one so I could install my PAC SWI-PS to keep my steering wheel controls. But I just read that yours is an '04 so I guess this response is moot anyways.
tosjduenfs-

I am thinking of doing the same setup. There seem to be lots of good deals on the U310BT around and I like keeping my steering wheel controls usable.

- Did you have any difficulties installing the U310BT?
- Besides the wiring harness, were there any special adapters or modifications you had to make?
- Does the SWI-PS allow all steering wheel control buttons to work with the U310BT?
- Are you happy with the U310BT? Biggest complaints I've read about seem to be the lack of POI in the GPS and inconsistent settings (separate for each function). But I can live with both of those for the price.

Thanks!

-Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts