Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,

Thought I would post a pic since i was challenged to do so once before. I feel like i finally got something right after all the wasted money and time spent on "other" ideas and attempts to work with the factory HU. The best thing I did was replace the factory radio with this aftermarket one, and I have to say it looks flippin sweet! It's a perfect match for the interior lighting. The photo doesn't do it justice. The sound shaping capabilites of this unit are awesome. I installed a small Profile amp (200W RMS) under the driver's seat and it powers an 8" JL sub in a ported wedge box located in the rear. The box takes up minimal space. I have the factory speakers (to include the add-on factory tweeters) powered by the HU, and I have them crossed over at 80Hz. I've only listened to this arrangement for a few days now, and I'm already starting to change my mind on a few things. First, I considered using a 10" in the rear, but it would take up more space and well... the 8" just pounds! : ) Also, I thought I would replace the factory speakers but man... I was listening to the system today, and crossed over at 80Hz, they actually sound pretty bad ***! That being said I may have another return to make to Crutchfield. ; ) Well, that's it. Oh, one more thing, I also installed the Pac Audio interface device that allows for the integration of the steering wheel audio controls. It works flawlessly. Pioneer AVH-p3100DVD Installed.JPG

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
226 Posts
We match! I'm thinking about replacing the stock speakers in my '05 X, powering them with the new HU. From there, I may add an amp if necessary. The interface on the AVH-P3100 is fantastic...I have no complaints so far. My ipod always has a full charge now.

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sound is awesome and there's numerous adjustments that can be made. I can even turn off the sub from the HU if I want - you know so I don't scare my dog when I put her in the back. (LOL) As far as GPS, no, it does not have GPS nor is there an add-on module available. The upside is that the unit's theft potential (if thieves actually read) is probably lowered. So far so good, I'm very happy with the arrangement right now. I'm going to listen a little while longer, and if I'm satisfied, I'll probably stick with the factory speakers. The only further improvements I'll make will be to fix some of the door buzzes as well as what I think is the heatshielding vibrating against the underbody. Following that I'm good as far as sound. I'll probably add a sirius tuner later.

By the way, has anyone had success with leaving their sat antena mounted in the vehicle? How was the reception?

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big Jay,

You may want to invest in the "premium" factory speakers. I think you may find they're a better match for the head unit amplifier. Just my opinion but I think aftermarket radios have just enough amplification to make factory speakers sound their best. Aftermarket speakers, on the other hand, in order to sound their best, will probably require an amp as you suggested. Therefore, if you want to save money (i.e. no additional amp to buy) go with something from Subaru. You may even find the premium speakers for a dirt cheap price somewhere. Think about it. By the way, what are you looking for from your main speakers? If it's more bass just add a sub, cross your mains over at 80Hz, and it sounds pretty good!

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An update from my previous posts. I'm now running the stock speakers w/o any crossover (i.e. full range). Maybe my ears have adjusted, but the sound is fantastic! : )
The only audio improvement I'm looking to make at this point will be dynamatting the doors to get rid of the annoying hum with certain songs/notes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts