2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to replace my HU with one of these:

Pioneer DEH-P4800MP

Alpine CDA-9851

JVC KD-DV4200

In that order.

Anyone have any experience with any of these? I have a Pioneer in my other car and like the sound but not the small buttons that are hard to push by feel while driving. The Forester has the stereo closer to the driver so that will help.

Whatever I end up with, I'll probably get the iPod adapter too.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi
I have the Alpine CDA-9851R

Installation was very staright forward, as long as you get the proper subaru loom adapter thingy. :)

Sound quality seems to be very good and the green glow of the buttons match the dash lights.

Main reason for me was it plays mp3's and wmv files. So its been a doddle using XP Media Player to convert all my music CDs to mp3's and burn them to CD. I can fit about 7 or 8 albums onto 1 CD. @ 192kbps.

Sooo.... It has totally saved me the hassle and cost of buying and installing a CD changer (my original plan). Its a lot easier to change a CD in the head unit than change CD's in a multichanger. And because Windows Media Player names all your songs for you, the title of the current song scrolls across the display of the head unit...Great :)

Oh and its fairly easy to operate and navigate thru to play your songs.

Only thing I miss is not having buttons on the steering wheel :-( How lazy am I!

Mick

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All the new ones in the US are going to big blue buttons. I'd like to keep it green to to match the rest of the dash. I miss my mp3 player, in my last car, for all the reasons you mentioned. Radio here is terrible and I don't want to get satellite. I wish more HU had a slot for the cd rather than having to open a door, just a personal preference thing.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT PP
10,114 Posts
Alpine all the way! I've had all three brands, and was LESS than impressed with the sound of the JVC. The Pioneer was ok. The Alpine is amazing.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Clarion, Pioneer or Alpine for me

I'd have to go with the pioneer for the ones you picked out

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
Why not go 2u?

Unless you're really keen on keeping the storage room under the radio going to 2u will give you many extras (DVD, iPod integration or even an integrated mp3 player).

Pioneer does a nice 2u HU (if you do not already have navigation); http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_295632461,00.html

Or Kenwood: http://www.kenwoodeurope.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=8&k3=57&pr=1924

I've had both Pioneer and JVC 1u HU in my previous cars and I prefer the sound of the Pioneer, if you can live with the small bottoms.

D

·
0 Posts
I love my Alpine 9847, the simple do all, I'd check out the new alpine 9856 if you are interested in hooking up an ipod to your ride. The unit is brand new and cheap as well.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
I've been a loyal user of Alpine products since 1991. I will not spec any other aftermarket head unit into any vehicle I drive. In my opinion, they have the best controls, the easiest layout to learn, and I've NEVER had an issue with any head unit I've had.

I purchased the Alpine from blitzoid recently, had it installed, and away I go. I love the sound better than the Alpine TDM-7544 cassette/CD changer that I had in the car.

BTW, one MP3 disc = more music than I can listen to in a week of commuting.

·
Gone but not forgotten - R.I.P.
520 Posts
ogopogo said:
All the new ones in the US are going to big blue buttons. I'd like to keep it green to to match the rest of the dash. I miss my mp3 player, in my last car, for all the reasons you mentioned. Radio here is terrible and I don't want to get satellite. I wish more HU had a slot for the cd rather than having to open a door, just a personal preference thing.

Alpine has a solution.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=KCA-420i

D

·
0 Posts

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dlroto, that is exactly what I was looking at. When I mentioned earlier, mp3 player, I meant that the HU reads mp3 cds...doh! I do have an iPod lying around I can use in the car. That's sweet for a $30 hookup. So it's down to the Alpine 9856 or 9857 but it's nearly twice as much, could use that $$ for the speakers.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I know jvc's now have the giga-mp3 feature which means you can burn your mp3's onto dvd for 4 or 8 (Not sure if double layer will work) gigs of mp3 goodness.

My next unit will be one on those, so I can say goodby to my 10 - 15 mp3 cd's I always have kicking around my car.

Bland...

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
bland said:
I know jvc's now have the giga-mp3 feature which means you can burn your mp3's onto dvd for 4 or 8 (Not sure if double layer will work) gigs of mp3 goodness.

My next unit will be one on those, so I can say goodby to my 10 - 15 mp3 cd's I always have kicking around my car.

Bland...

That's the route I went. I bought the JVC KD-5100 for $199. I love the Giga-Mp3 feature. 11,000 tracks on 1 DVD. Carry around 2 discs (1 with my tunes, 1 with the wifes stuff) sure does beat having a bunch of CDs in the car. Last week we drove from Seattle to Lake Take and back. 15 hours each way and I never had to change a disc. Another cool thing was the ability to watch DVD movies (Hooked up my dash mount LCD) when we took breaks at a rest stop. The deck also has a front and rear AUX inputs, it is Sirius ready and the color is a perfect match for the dash. I don't think you can find a better value.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I have gone w/ Alpine mostly on headunits...I have used sony, pioneer, and also rockford fosgate (worst move ever) head units but Alpine has always been the best.

There is actually a single din DVD player that Alpine came out w/ that I just had installed in my father's car. It works well and has the DVD MP3 capability for insane storage of MP3. They have 2 different single models the DVA-9860 and DVA-9861. I got the 9860 for him last fall but the 9861 came out this year w/ the ipod ready controls.

·
Registered
934 Posts
another vote for alpine. on the model i have, you can change the colors. and i have the cable from the back that has a RCA jack. then all you need is the RCA to the normal headphone jack.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
I like the Pineer BUT I like the Alpines a little better. I just got the CDA-9856. I don't particulary like the sound of the JVCs without an amp hooked up to the speakers.

I'm thinking of putting in an amp anyway- I will probably upgrade to Apline or Pioneer speakers when I do. I love the clarity of sound that an amp provides.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Has anyone run into a problem with bad reception after installing a new stereo?

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2102

This place had spacers/adapters for speakers. I may try 5.25" in the rear doors.

https://w109.webminders.com/iaperfo...on=showCatalog&typeNumber=45&sectionNumber=62

I want to use Polk db650 for the front. Crutchfield says they are 1/4" deeper than what should fit due to the tweeter but may fit with a spacer....hmmmm...

Also, I decided on an Alpine 9856. I can use the iPod adapter as well as an RCA to 1/8" plug line (to the AUX) so I can use the iPod dock port or the 1/8" for a shuffle, mini-disc or anything else. Now I just have to order the stuff. ching ching!

=======

Some user info on the 9856

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?threadid=148784

·
Registered
2006 Forester
174 Posts
Remember- the unit does NOT come with a remote or faceplate case. Those can be bought separately for around $20 and $5 respectively.

www.pacparts.com

They are Alpine distributors.

D

·
0 Posts
My radio reception stayed the same, I think that Sony's have the worst radio reception, I've had 2 in the past and they were atrocious.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts