Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5MT
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some extensive research on here, as well as iwsti.com and rs25.com and cannot find any information on piggyback engine management for the 03-05 n/a foresters.

Now I saw how Bobby used the SMT6 for his sons AVO turbo swapped 03XS, but are there other piggyback options?

I'm fairly positive the GReddy Emanage Blue will work with the right settings. I cannot find any information about the Emanage Ultimate though. It appears that the Ultimate is not a universal unit like the Blue. Ideally I would like to use the Ultimate as a harness can be made rather inexpensively and has some nice tuning features.

I'm trying to stay away from FMU's with boost timing retarders and voltage clamps. Also, engine swaps; I can spend the same amount of money, if not less, on a used EJ251 built to my spec with custom up pipes to fit and not have to swap the crossmember and pull the dash to harness merge and all that jazz. A motor swap is way more labor intensive.

So I guess my question is, what other piggyback options are out there for an EJ251 turbo build. Has anyone here used an Emanage Blue or Ultimate on a 03+ EJ251?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2011 SH S-Edition 5EAT
202 Posts
Buddy of mine runs a Haltech piggybacking his stock ECU. Haltech is there so he can run a Zeitronix ethanol content analyser and have his car run as a true flex fuel.

This is on a 255, but would probably work on a 251 also.

You may find it easier to just look for an EJ255 & computer rather than putting a turbo on your NA; the 255s are DOHC with AVCS on the inlet cam(s) while the 251s are SOHC with no AVCS.

Either way, good luck with the build :)

·
Registered
2004 forester XS Auto
65 Posts
I have an 04xs and drove home from work today running an AEM fic unit. I've been hoping someone else would pick one up.:Banane35: They're cheap.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
967 Posts
The 03 is the most mod-unfriendly forester I have seen. You will probably need to check out rs25.com or nasioc and look into 03 imprezas since they have the same issue with the ecm being untuneable. There have been many impreza owners that have swapped ecm's with other model years, the pinouts are not exact from what I recall but the issue is the same.

I looked wide and far for this very same thing, the best I could find was the megasquirt system, that can piggyback or completely control the engine. How far you want to take it depends on your comfort level and abilities. There is an entire forum dedicated to MS so you are sure to find help on that front. Good luck to you and please post back here for the benefit of others finding themselves facing this dilemma.

·
Premium Member
2003 SG Manual
30 Posts
Haltech is there so he can run a Zeitronix ethanol content analyser and have his car run as a true flex fuel.

:)
Now I'm intrigued. Flex fuel? more info? E85/petrol would be ideal! specially as Ethanol has a higher octane rating as petrol to start with!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts