Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I never thought I'd be one of those guys to make a thread like this, but it has come down to crunch time and I'm not sure which size to get... I'm new to the car "mod" world (been playing w/ motorcycles for a while now).

I want some 17" wheels, it's either 8" or 8.5" wide.

Vehicle: '04 FXT, Swift springs on GR2's

These are my choices...

ROTA Wheels G-Force 17x8 (5x100+48mm, 56.1 Hub)

ROTA Wheels Slipstream 17x8 (5x100+48mm, 56.1 Hub)

ROTA Wheels Slipstream 17x8.5 (5x100+48mm, 56.1 Hub)

I'm leaning towards the Rota Slipstreams, and if I do... which so I get? 8" or 8.5"? Will I need spacers? What is the 56.1 Hub that they're describing in the title?

Thanks for your input :)

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
56.1 is the size of the center of wheel hub in mm. When the wheel is hubcentric for a specific car, the hole in the middle of the wheel fits snug on the hub, centering the wheel perfectly. Otherwise you have to rely on the lugnuts to center the wheel.

8" vs 8.5" wheel -- with 8.5" your wheel will be pushed out 1/4" more on the outside and will have 1/4" less clearance to the strut. Not sure about fitment of 235/45 tire on 8.5" rim, it could be stretched -- but I could be wrong. You may be able to go with 235/50, too -- the "will this wheel/tire fit?" thread may be very helpful with this.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 XT
3,203 Posts
since u are sticking to 17's i would go with the slipstreams, as i think gforces are a great looking wheel, but only in 18's.

do you auto-x or track the car where the wider wheel will benefit you? if not the only thing the wider wheel will do just the appearance(for better or worse depending on who you ask) and make your gas mileage worse

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I would probably be doing AutoX Days every once in a while, but she is mainly my DD. So I think i'm going to go w/ the 17" x 8"'s (Slipstreams), the only thing now is I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ the 235/50/17's instead of the 45's... I spent a lot of time last night reading forums and the tire threads... and noticed a lot of people are doing the 235/50/17, instead of the 45s... I'm not sure if I'd really be able to tell the difference between to two, but I can still change my mind.

Oh... decisions decisions.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
50 profile will be more "comfy" if your suspension is relatively stiff, but with Swifts the shorter 45 sidewall may give you an advantage. You'll have more wheel gap though if you care about that kind of stuff.

The shorter profile tire will weigh less :icon_biggrin:

Stan

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.

I would probably be doing AutoX Days every once in a while, but she is mainly my DD. So I think i'm going to go w/ the 17" x 8"'s (Slipstreams), the only thing now is I'm wondering if I should have gone w/ the 235/50/17's instead of the 45's... I spent a lot of time last night reading forums and the tire threads... and noticed a lot of people are doing the 235/50/17, instead of the 45s... I'm not sure if I'd really be able to tell the difference between to two, but I can still change my mind.

Oh... decisions decisions.
That's the choice I'd have made... 17x8 et48 will fit nicely, the 8½ would be really close to your rear strut.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
I also agree with your choice - I love the G-Force, but Slips look better in 17", and an 8" wheel is plenty wide for most people IMO. As far as the sidewall, I would have probably gone 50 series in order to keep the overall diameter the same as stock, but that's just me - I don't like wheel gap. 235/45 will look kinda small, but not TOO small on a lowered car.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I've always liked Slipstreams, but 24.5 lbs for a 17x8 wheel is pretty darn heavy. 17" wheels that heavy better be indestructible... :biggrin: A lot of 18" wheels weight less. You could get some nicer/lighter wheels, if you don't mind buying used stuff.

Here are a few other options that might pique your interest:

Enkei RPF1 - 17x7.5 et48, 15 lbs

5Zigen ProRacer ZR+520 Wheel - 17x8.0 et47
5Zigen ProRacer ZR+520 Wheel - 17x8.0 / 5x100 / Offset +47: Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST

Tenzo R Type-M Wheel - 17x7.0 / 5x114.3/100 / +42 (Black)
Tenzo R Type-M Wheel - 17x7.0 / 5x114.3/100 / +42 (Black): Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Another thing to consider, if looks are important to you:

Pretty much any wheel with a lip will appear smaller in diameter. The Slipstreams also have wide/thick spokes that don't extend to the edge of the wheel, which makes them look even smaller.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just called that store to see if they had the slipstreams in stock, and it looks like they're back ordered until July/August :( Sadly, that isn't something I can wait for.

So... G-Force?

:facepalm

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
What color Slipstreams are you looking for? Several other online vendors appear to have some in stock.

Also, I don't think these really weigh 24.5 lbs. According to this page they're just over 20 lbs.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Here's another wheel you may like, and they're only $144 each...

Sparco Drift Black Painted

What color Slipstreams are you looking for? Several other online vendors appear to have some in stock.

Also, I don't think these really weigh 24.5 lbs. According to this page they're just over 20 lbs.
I'm starting to doubt that weight, too. Wheelweights.net has them listed at ~21 lbs.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I picked up some Bronze G-Forces, 17x8 for the time being. I put my name on the "list" for when he gets the slipstreams in.

I do want the black tires, because... as the name suggests... I like black on black on black on... black. (ya i know, i bought bronze wheels)

I figure it this way...

The slipstreams I can get for the same price as I paid for these... which, I found selling on i-club for $100 less than what i paid. So... $100 to rent wheels for 4-5 months until the slipstreams come in. Not too bad in my book :)

Speaking of wheeldude.com.... I saw one of their trucks when I was coming back home from picking up these other ones. :)

and... about the being "in stock" elsewhere... The 4 places I called that their website showed them in stock... were sold out.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So my next round of questions come to which tire to pick. I had some hankook ventus v12s picked out but they don't make them w/ the 50 sidewall that i wanted (235/50/17).

I'm a aggressive driver, and I can foresee a autoX date in my future.

Any recommendations on a tire that is sub-$140/each?

I was checkin out these Falken Ziex ZE-912.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts