Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived Tuesday but due to work schedule just got chance to unpack it and play around with it yesterday.

Has a cool remote control that stows in the left side card port:

Its the HP DV7-2270us model I posted about I was considering awhile back. 4 gig ram, Windows 7 64bit, 17.3", Core 2 Quad @ 2.0Ghz, ATI Radeon HD4650 dedicated vidcard w/ 1 gig onboard ram

Now, to load up MS Flight Sim X on it and see how it runs. I think I will go buy the FSX Acceleration expansion pack so I can rock all four cores plus DirectX 10.1... :Banane08:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. $50 rebate from HP until 01/15/10, makes it $974 after MIR on Amazon w/ free shipping. They had 6 left when I ordered. The rebate excludes quite a few retailers, so you have to be careful where you buy to get the rebate.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm anxious to hear about how well it keeps itself cooled under load as well as the noise levels. I'm jealous regardless. =P

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fan was running in a quiet low speed mode all the time it was on. I checked in BIOS setup (F10 during boot POST) and "FAN ALWAYS ON" was set to 'enabled'. I disabled it. The fan now throttles on and off as needed. There also must be a small fan on the videocard, because I can barely hear a very quiet one running under the right half of the keyboard.

I benchmarked it using Passmark Performance Test 7.0 trial version and summary/combo score was 1084.6, w/ CPU score @ 3270, videocard @ 508. When I put a CD in so Passmark suite could test the DVD/RW drive it came back with a combo score of 1117. First time around (1084.6) I had no CD inserted so it skipped the CD test thus scoring 0 on the CD portion of the suite. Bummer is that I uploaded the first score, the lower one, and it only lets you upload your score to Passmark.com's huge database once. So my system is locked into their bencmark database at the 1084.6 score. What is cool is that the summary score on this machine isn't too far below those of HP's DV7t notebook equipped with the Core i7 720 (1.6Ghz) CPU. Due to the DV7t Core i7 720 setup HP uses with the nVidia 230M vidcard, the lower 3D graphics score of the nVidia 230M against the faster ATI HD4650 works against the dv7t series in the summary score,which is an average of numerous benchmarks (CPU, 2D, 3D, disk, CD, Memory, etc) ran by the Passmark 7.0 suite.

Of course, synthetic benchmarks are NOT always indicators of real-world application performance... but they are fun to mess with.

·
Registered
1985 GL SE Wagon 4WD
142 Posts
Arrived Tuesday but due to work schedule just got chance to unpack it and play around with it yesterday.

Has a cool remote control that stows in the left side card port:

Its the HP DV7-2270us model I posted about I was considering awhile back. 4 gig ram, Windows 7 64bit, 17.3", Core 2 Quad @ 2.0Ghz, ATI Radeon HD4650 dedicated vidcard w/ 1 gig onboard ram

Now, to load up MS Flight Sim X on it and see how it runs. I think I will go buy the FSX Acceleration expansion pack so I can rock all four cores plus DirectX 10.1... :Banane08:
thats exactly the same one i want. i'm jealous now hahaha

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Completely jealous of that NumPad. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
Nice laptop. Im curious ,what kind of scores you getting in the
Windows Experience Index ?
does it matter....it's going down the drain as soon as it measures the hardrive but if you split it up it can be interesting.

Nice laptop btw. Gratz :banana:

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice laptop. Im curious ,what kind of scores you getting in the
Windows Experience Index ?
According to the info blurb on the Windows Experience Index scoring, highest component score achieved (unknown revision date of the info) is 7.9 (?)

Here's what it scored this new laptop at:

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Thats not bad at all for a laptop, looks good.. I get ganked on the Hard drive too. I think the only way to raise that part of the score would be to install a SSD

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HP has a similar version on sale that I almost got instead, 17.3" but the processor is the newer and admittedly better Core i7 720QM quad:

HP Official Store — Buy an HP Pavilion dv7 and dv7t Quad Edition series notebook PC from HP

But after reading buyer reviews on Newegg and on the HP site it seemed apparent that there is a problem with the implementation of the nVidia 230M videocard in that model. A number of reviews described a frequent lockup or problem with the video driver that Win 7 could not recover from and required a hard reboot, and that so far there was no driver update available (at time of this post) to correct the issue.

Pretty sweet deal on it though from HP direct, but the reports of a video lockup issue scared me off. Maybe its why HP put the $200 instant rebate on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts