Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

PIC REQUEST: Rear amplifiers..where you put em?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Tuned200 
#1 ·
I know some of you have them under your seats, and even mounted to the back of rear seats, but not looking for those options.

I built a wood platform mount back in the day that had 4 legs, and sat snug in the spare tire...velcro at the base of the legs to keep it snug.

Well..I dont run a spare tire anymore, and looking at options. Either a similar rack utilizing the threaded screw hole, or trimming driver side foam to fit under cargo tray. I really want a newer style cargo tray, thinking that one would drop right in....but don't know if that is an option.

PICS PLEASE!!!

#4 ·
Black...looks good, I haven't seen it stored there..any reason you went there as opposed to cutting out the area next to passenger "sub"?

Chris...I prefer my amp to stay clear of snowboard boots, beach sand & goldfish crackers. Not all of us have minivans to haul the kids.:N_poke::N_poke: Also...removing it at the track saves me 10#.:icon_razz::icon_razz:

#5 ·
Black...looks good, I haven't seen it stored there..any reason you went there as opposed to cutting out the area next to passenger "sub"?
I hadn't even thought of using that spot...

... i'll be eventually getting another sub kit from sea-scooby for that side anyways... since when I bought my JL 8w3v3-4 it was as a set, and not 1 at a time (damn CL ads).

That spot will only hold a certain size though... the one i had (don't know the exact size) barely fit in that spot.

#9 ·
I actually like blackOnBlack's idea of mounting it there. I have mine under the driver's seat, and I'd rather have something a little more hidden and out of the way.

Not to mention, having it under the seat blocks the floor vents to the rear seat passengers (if anyone cares about that) :biggrin:

#10 ·
Preacher, when we did my install we considered pulling the spare and building a fiberglass enclosure for the amp/sub within that area and ultimately decided to go with the under the seat option and placed the amps far enough forward that, even when sitting in the back with snowboard boots, they were well protected.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/little-boom-boom-xt-60435/

That is what they look like installed and it looks very clean throughout and you would hardly know they are there. If protecting them is a major concern, I would suggest a sheet metal cover bent over/around the exposed side to keep any unwanted debris from hitting them.

At any rate, I wanna see how you end up mounting them, but I think you'll be happy with having them under the seat IMO.

-db

#11 ·
^Looking good!!

There is so much unused space in the rear, it just seems the safest, easiest to remove, and accessible location for removal/adjusting/etc. Like I said, for me under the seat is NOT an option.

Chris, I do like you have the a gains knob wired to the front...I am keeping that in mind.

I still haven't decided if modding the foam, or trying a newer (06-08) tray, or spare tire mount is in order....here is an old pic that worked perfect (when I had a spare tire).

#12 ·
Mine is in my tray above the spare. I traded my full size spare (wrong size anyway) for a donut spare and the tray. Then I had a tire mounted on the donut rim that matches the diameter of my setup better.

For a local I installed his amp in the passenger side fender where the pocket is. We removed the pocket and I made a simple "rack" to hold the amp in place. I replaced the pocket with a grill, and used quick release connectors (liek home audio speaker grills) so the amp can be accessed quickly for adjusting gains and that. I don't have any pix of it though.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.