Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2018 XT Limited with EyeSight in April and was disappointed that there were some incandescent lights in it. I replaced all of the lights with LEDs. I used Philips 7443ALED for the turn signals and was disappointed that they weren't very bright.

I thought about it for a few months and decided to get brighter lights, so I replaced the four turn signals with Diode Dynamics 7440 XP80, and am happier with the brightness.

These are just cellphone pictures. If I had dialled down the exposure a bit the pictures might have shown the difference better. But you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,828 Posts
Did you encounter any problems with the LEDs' low current requirement triggering the fast blink, or has Subaru perhaps switched over to computer generated timing that doesn't care?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fast blink
I installed the TapTurn module which doesn't fast blink when the turn-signal bulb current is low.

The only issues I had were 1) the Philips yellow turn signal was not bright enough, and 2) the instructions people put on YouTube showing how to access the foglight bulbs weren't all that great. I ended up following the Diode Dynamics instructions when I was first looking at all the bulbs so I could select appropriate bulbs to buy, and they tell you to take a lot of stuff apart. Once you're in there though you can see how to get in. After I bought all the bulbs and was installing everything, I got to the foglights by removing only the one (1) plastic rivet thing at the very front of the splash guards.

·
Registered
487 Posts
DD makes some great, top quality stuff. The XP80 is also like $90, so it damn well better be brighter than the $20 Philips one. I don't know it's a true "fair" comparison, but again the DD stuff is vastly superior.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Interesting.
Ive been playing around with led bulbs n such with my car for my headlights.

xenondepot is no good. They had their ad as brighter and less power consuming than oem halogen. The power consuming was less, obviosuly, but it was not brighter, just change in color. I let customer service know and they kept trying to sell me their newer products and ignoring my concerns. I ultimately had to contact my credit card to give me my refund.

Ive purchased cheap china made/shipped leds which are much brighter than xenondepot.

Im gona try out some DD and see how that goes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts