Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XTn 2.5
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the Forester booked into GRD next monday (thanks for the recomendation people!) to have the first phase of the work done.

I've decided to break the work into 3.

1)Suspension, ARB etc, setup and wheels/tyres
2) Brakes (Brembo STi takeoffs)
3) Engine work (turbo, TMIC, exhaust etc.)

Now, the question I have is this. I have the money to do this work now (phase 1), but not to do the rest for a while. James says that the suspension mods he's done work great with stock wheels and upgraded (from geo's) tyres. But if I want to go Brembo (which I eventualy do) I'll need to swap to approriate 17" or 18"'s.
I'm tempted to stay on the 16's for now and upgrade to a better tyre. This gives me some time to save for the rest of the work rather than overcommit finances now.
If I do stay on th 16's I'm considering Falken ZE912 (as the 512's dont seem to be available) or Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. One comments on these choices? I'll fit them iin 225/55/16 rather than 215/60/16.
The other option is a set of secondhand 17"'s with new tyres. I've not really seen anything for sale at a decent price that will both fit and clear brembos.
Any ideas - offers? ;)

Unless I can get some good 17's (or 18's) at a good price I'll probably stay on the 16's with new new tyres. Am I compromising much by doing this? I dont think so, other than looks wise?

I'm in such a quandry . lol.

Still - good news on getting the suspension done so fast :)

·
Registered
2005 Forester XTn 2.5
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a setup they've done on a couple of other fozzies and apparently works very well.

STi struts,stock springs (I believe, but I may have missheard), new endlinks, STi rear ARB. Then full geometry setup.

Apparently this gives a drop of about 45 at the rear, 60 at the front (again from memory, I might have missheard) but basically a really nice stance.

Using the STi stuts with stock spings gives full suspension travel, but much stiffer damping etc. I'm still waiting for the email with the final details, but given who's doing it and that fact that they've done exactly this before,I'm pretty confident :)

And would you believe - the resturant is closed Mondays *sob*, That means half a day to kill in the village (or annoying the guys in the garage by being nosey ;) )

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
And would you believe - the resturant is closed Mondays *sob*, That means half a day to kill in the village (or annoying the guys in the garage by being nosey ;) )
James will drop you in Woking I should think - you can easily kill half a day there. Good luck - sounds good. will be interested to hear (and see) the results.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XTn 2.5
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking all probably keep the stock 16's with 225/55's. So I'll post a pic when I get the work done so you can see the stance.

Looking forward to it - apparently the other chap who had this done recently (a mate of James') was really impressed!

A

·
0 Posts
I would try and get hold of some 17's, that way you can tighten up the handling by losing the excess tyre roll from having 60/55 profiles, with 17's you can come down to 225/50's.
I have the ZE912's and bang for buck they are really good!
Try and look for some ROTA's as they are the correct 48 offset for the forester.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
I'd agree about tyres, I went from 16s to 18s and it made a difference. I've done all my mods slowly and you notice these little changes.

The STI struts make a massive difference to handling, I have Prodrive springs on mine as well and sometimes it is a little low, especially if you hit a bump at low speed you can hear the tyre hit the inner wheel arch but when it comes to going round corners :woohoo:

Was following a mate of mine up the cat and fiddle a few weeks ago in his WR1 and on the corners I was right up his chuff but on the straights I got left for dead.

You might also notice the car will also understeer less as well, just remember - slow in fast out.

The full geo setup will make a difference as well. I know people who've had this done on brand new cars and its been out!

Good luck with the mods.

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo Manual
118 Posts
Unless you're going to be driving like a tool the brakes aren't that important - unless they are fading, the limiting factor will be the tyres.

On a track the standard brakes will die, even without engine upgrades, so it largely depends upon what your plans are.

If you're looking for a fast road Foz, I'd stay with 16s, but with reinforced tyres and the full suspension upgrade/geometry until you're bored of only being as fast as an impreza ;-)

If you're going for track action, you need the brakes first IMO. That means a set of 18s wearing 235/40x18 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
It can't be stock springs for those drops, sounds like STi springs to me.

The Foz was great on 04 STi suspension for handling, but too uncomfortable, so I'm using cut and recambered stock Foz springs on STI struts! All on 16" rims but with sports saloon style tyres, putting ZE912's on the wifes Celica this week, so may have them on mine when the next pair need doing.

Simon

·
Registered
2005 Forester XTn 2.5
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, when he said *stock* springs, he probably meant stock STi. I am a bit concerned about the ride if its going to be really hard as this is our day to day car. But if its a bit too harsh I might swap to swifts or somesuch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts