Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
03 forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys and girls if you could buy a new forester would you get the diesel or petrol? [I now this question is a bit mean for sum of you as you dont have them yet so a lot of you aint had a chance to drive one] I drove the diesel the other day and really was impressed the only negative I can think of is I prefer autos but think I can live with the 6speed. Interested in others thoughts tho.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
[I now this question is a bit mean for sum of you as you dont have them yet so a lot of you aint had a chance to drive one]
Oh, sure. Rub it in, why dontcha. :chair: :biggrin:

Can't say I'd buy one since, as you say, we haven't had a chance to even try them over here, but it will certainly have me showing up for a test drive the day it arrives at our dealer. Reasonably small car/SUV, good interior room, Subaru AWD, and 35+ mpg with great torque? Yeah, the diesel would have me considering sale of the XT.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
252 Posts
I would have considered the diesel had it been available when I got my XT, but the Euro spec diesel Forester we get in NZ misses out on the roof bars which is a deal breaker for me as I need it for the surfboard and roof pod.

That and the acceleration from the XT is kind of useful too :biggrin:

If the diesel had the same spec as the XT bar the engine the diesel probably would have won.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
I would have gotten a diesel if it was available. I'm really hopping this is my last gas powered car.

·
Registered
03 forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would have considered the diesel had it been available when I got my XT, but the Euro spec diesel Forester we get in NZ misses out on the roof bars which is a deal breaker for me as I need it for the surfboard and roof pod.

noticed the missing roof bars,they can be fitted tho, have not looked into how much it would be.

·
Registered
2009 2.0 D XC
65 Posts
I've not enough posts to insert url's but if you add to subaru.co.nz this /New_Vehicles/Forester/2.0D_EuroSpec/features.php then under exterior you see as standard
Rear wipers, roof mounted antenna, roof rails ♦

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
100% for the Diesel with the 6 spd. Gas here in Canada is pretty high and we need to find other alternatives to reduce fuel consumption. Don't forget that when you tune a Diesel, it hauls some serious donkey!!!! Torque is in.....HP is out. We drive in traffic, from traffic light to traffic light and a lower speed limit. We need torque for this. HP is good if you drive on the Autobahn at high speeds!!!!

Just go on You Tube and watch videos of tuned Cummins, Duramax and Powerstrokes!!!!I've seen a 1000Hp Chevy pick-up with the Duramax and the 6spd Allison auto tranny. The launch is absolutely insane!!!!It puts a high HP car to shame!!!

The reason we don't see as many Diesel powered cars is because of the greedy Oil Tycoons we have in North America. All the **** that comes out of Alberta heads south. :icon_wink:

Imagine a 3.0 H6 Turbo Diesel with a 6 spd manual!!!!:lildevil:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
252 Posts
I've not enough posts to insert url's but if you add to subaru.co.nz this /New_Vehicles/Forester/2.0D_EuroSpec/features.php then under exterior you see as standard
Your right it does say that... but they don't come with come with them, I've seen heaps of them around the place.

How bout in the UK, do they have them there ?

·
Registered
2004 Forester 2.5X 5 speed manual
2,136 Posts
I'd trade in a heartbeat sight unseen for a diesel. If diesel vehicles aren't available by the next time I car shop, I might seriously consider getting an old beater vehicle (small Toyota pickup) and having a custom diesel engine dropped in.

·
Registered
03 forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GKB's right they don't come with them but they can be fitted [the new outbacks the same] dealer reckons they are the euro model but we should get them on our models later?
oh the only other thing I don't like is the blinker switch is on the left side, another euro cast of I guess? but sure ya get used to it.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
I'd trade in a heartbeat sight unseen for a diesel. If diesel vehicles aren't available by the next time I car shop, I might seriously consider getting an old beater vehicle (small Toyota pickup) and having a custom diesel engine dropped in.
It's probably not gonna happen. There are repeated references to Subaru concentrating more on hybrid stuff for the U.S. (ugh), not to mention pretty much every other manufacturer that isn't German in origin seems to be yanking their diesel plans for the U.S...

it sucks, I was seriously hoping for a diesel Outback in a few years, but I stopped holding my breath.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
That bites. Diesel makes a lot more sense for a long-distance driver like myself. For instance, my 500-mile round trip today would have made hybrid tech almost useless since there were maybe 8 miles total of in-town driving. That's how I drive all the time so diesel would really be a boon for me. Hybrid, not so much.

Please, Subaru, I don't want to shop VW for my first diesel.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
Base model (X) diesels have no roof rails- and get slightly better economy because of this. The others all *do* have rails.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,452 Posts
100% for the Diesel with the 6 spd. Gas here in Canada is pretty high and we need to find other alternatives to reduce fuel consumption. Don't forget that when you tune a Diesel, it hauls some serious donkey!!!! Torque is in.....HP is out. We drive in traffic, from traffic light to traffic light and a lower speed limit. We need torque for this. HP is good if you drive on the Autobahn at high speeds!!!!
Really? "Wheels" magazine here in Oz has just tested a new Outback diesel and was thrilled to record a top speed of 169km/h (in 5th) 0-400m in 16.8secs and 0-100km/h in 9.65secs. Hardly sounds like hauling serious donkey (arse we say and spell :biggrin: ) to me. Averaged 8.4L/100km/h for the test too, which is disappointing. They managed a 0-400m in 14.8secs and 0-100km/h in 6.6secs in an auto Forester XT a couple of years ago. Now that is more like hauling serious donkey. One thing they did note was how the considerably heavier diesel compromised the handling.

Having driven diesel Golfs I appreciate their benefits but boy it's nice to get back to a high revving, smoooooooooth, sweet, quiet petrol engine that doesn't have that deep, hard noise with a wooden feeling accelerator.

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
Diesel for me. Just braved the snow to check in the SH but I was unable to find any trace of the wooden accelerator. :raspberry:

But of course I wouldn't, it's a Subaru

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,412 Posts
Really? "Wheels" magazine here in Oz has just tested a new Outback diesel and was thrilled to record a top speed of 169km/h (in 5th) 0-400m in 16.8secs and 0-100km/h in 9.65secs. Hardly sounds like hauling serious donkey (arse we say and spell :biggrin: ) to me. Averaged 8.4L/100km/h for the test too, which is disappointing. They managed a 0-400m in 14.8secs and 0-100km/h in 6.6secs in an auto Forester XT a couple of years ago. Now that is more like hauling serious donkey. One thing they did note was how the considerably heavier diesel compromised the handling.

Having driven diesel Golfs I appreciate their benefits but boy it's nice to get back to a high revving, smoooooooooth, sweet, quiet petrol engine that doesn't have that deep, hard noise with a wooden feeling accelerator.
I was mentioning about "Chiping" it!!!:icon_wink: Tune that diesel and I am sure it would wake it up. It's all in the fueling and boost!!!!:icon_wink:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.0D
2 Posts
Petrol or diesel

ok guys and girls if you could buy a new forester would you get the diesel or petrol? I drove the diesel the other day and really was impressed the only negative I can think of is I prefer autos but think I can live with the 6speed. Interested in others thoughts tho.
IMHO it's a no-brainer. I'd only buy the diesel (but then I prefer manual gearbox anyway).

Late last year I researched the small-medium SUV market with a view to obtaining a vehicle more suited to my current requirements. I have owned only Mazdas for the past 31 years but Mazda don't have a suitable model in their range. I test drove the new Kai Sorento (2.2R TD) and loved it, but it was a little larger and more expensive than I was hoping to pay. I had a 2003 Mazda Atenza SW (2261cc, 5spd) owned since new and it averaged 8.3 l/100km over 76,000km. It was great drivers car but the ground clearance and body kit made it increasingly impractical for traveling on back roads. Off-road was out of the question. I wanted similar or better economy, similar internal space in a (preferably) similar- or smaller-sized package, better ground clearance, some off-road ability, and acceleration that was not too much slower than what I'd been used to. My Mazda did not have traction control, electronic stability programme, cruise control, trip computer and it had only 2 airbags. I was looking for an improvement in those areas.

The Subaru Forester 2.0TD seemed to fit the bill. Slightly less luggage capacity than the Mazda, comfortable seating (although the materials used are not quite up to Mazda standard). The handling is pretty good (can't expect an SUV to handle as well as the Mazda, which is one of the best handling medium-sized cars on the market). The Subaru definitely is more economical (I'm getting about 6.4 l/100km - only done 4100km - which I suspect will improve) and I don't notice any real difference in acceleration compared with the Mazda. [I'm sure the Mazda would win over the standing 1/4 mile] The torque certainly makes driving on hills effortless. The Sub seems quieter at 100km/h - doing under 2000rpm compared with around 3000 in the Mazda. The speedo reads about 7% slow (the Mazda was 4% slow) - to do 100km/h you need to be on about 108km/h indicated.

The 6 speed gearbox is not in the same class as the Mazda's but is not too bad. It's quite unforgiving if you go too slow in a high gear. The driveline will snatch and you can stall. No point going above 4th gear in town (<50km/h), and you do need to change down when approaching traffic lights or intersections. It takes off OK in first - haven't really noticed any turbo-lag. However, it's a different driving experience from a non-turbo petrol engine. Not better or worse, just different.

Right now, I think the Forester 2.0D is easily the pick of the small SUVs. When the new models of the Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sportage get the 'R series' engines, it may be a different story........ but I have made my choice and will have to live with it for quite a few years.

BTW, Kiwisub, don't let the lack of roof rails put you off - they're available as an optional accessory (and fuel economy is better without them).

·
Registered
03 forester
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks MCIman, thats an impressive 1st post so welcome too, not that worried about the roof rails myself, never used the ones I got.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts