Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I haven't seen this posted yet, so I apologize if somebody else has already brought it up. But I did want to share a way I finally discovered of getting around a small pet peeve that I have with my 2014 Forester XT Touring, specifically with the push button start and the radio.

Every morning I usually get to work a few minutes early and most of the time I’d rather hang out in my car than go in early and sit at my desk. And of course I want to keep listening to the radio while I wait. But with the push button start, I’ve always had to either keep the engine running (wasting gas), or turn the car all the way off including the radio, and wait a few seconds to turn just the accessories/radio on (by pressing the push button start without my foot on the brake). This has always kind of annoyed me, since cars that still require a key could go straight from the engine on mode to the accessories mode without any interruption of the radio, and other cars I’ve driven have kept the radio playing even with the key removed until the door was opened.

I did finally find a way to turn off the engine without turning off the radio though. This can be done by turning off the engine before moving the shifter to Park. A message will pop up reminding you to turn the power off before leaving the car, but it does keep the radio on without any interruption, and also doesn’t waste any gas.

Anybody else have a better way of getting around this, or does anybody know if this may cause some kind of a problem since I’m turning off the engine without it being in Park?

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,103 Posts
I figured this out by accident. I'm not a fan of keeping anything running while the car is off, though, so it doesn't do me much good.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
10 Posts
You can go to accessory mode by pushing the start bottom twice while keeping the foot off the break.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,103 Posts
You can go to accessory mode by pushing the start bottom twice while keeping the foot off the break.
That causes a loss of the radio until the push-button is cycled to bring it back. //

If the car is shut down before shifting to park, I'd probably at least shift to neutral first to unload the the engine before shutting it down. You'll still get the same warning and the radio will remain on.

·
Registered
2006 Prius Auto
10 Posts
I like it Vegas. Thanks for sharing. I have the same routine every morning when arriving at work. I also think the idea of shifting to neutral first is a good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts