1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Sport
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PSP-INR-200 Part#.

Here's a link to the install on WRX.net here:

** PERRIN Short Shift Adapter DIY ** - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

I have to say, that, while the how-to above was right on, there are some Forester-specific "issues" that I found while doing this install.

First, I don't know if the shift lever itself was/is different between WRX's and Foresters, but, mine didn't just "slide right on". In fact, I had to use a large flat blade screwdriver and a ball peen hammer (with a piece of rubber on the adapter to keep from marring) to get the adapter to seat to the appropriate length. I tried using some 0000 steel wool thinking the shifter was just dirty, but it didn't work; it would appear that the adapter is approx. 1mm too small to make it easy to fit right out of the box.

Second, when you remove the console, my 07 Sport XT had what appeared to be some sort of foam/rubber covering that went over the trans tunnel, im assuming more to block outside noise than any other reason. Once you yank that cover off, along with 4 plastic screws, you will find that the pic on WRX.net is almost identical to what you see with the Forester.

The install took me less than an hour, and most of the aggravation/time was spent bending the corner of the shift tunnel up enough to give clearance to the shift lever. Also, there is a length of rubber that runs along the shift lever inside the console that I cut a notch out with a razor to keep the shift lever from hanging up. Other than that, pretty straightforward install, and the shifts are certainly much shorter, albeit notchier. My kit also came with shift bushings, which I will install when its not 30 degrees and raining out.:rock:

·
Registered
2007 SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Glad it work for you.

It took me quite a while to get the perfect balance between shift distance and effort. I finally settle to 57mm. I am glad I get this adjustable setup. I might get stuck with something that does not work really well for me. This adjust ability makes me able to tailor it exactly to my liking.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts