Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered the Perrin 19mm RSB for my 09 XT...it's onsale for $140 this month.. I didn't see replacement end links on the Perrin website. The instructions say to use the existing end links, but if I'm changing the RSB isn't this the right time to do the end links as well ?

Any suggestions? (part numbers) do I need to do this or just stick with the stock end links ?

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5 spd
247 Posts
The endlinks should be fine unless you are going over 20mm on the bar. I've got a 20mm STI bar in back and kept my stock links. They have held up fine even with some significant "spirited" driving. :biggrin: I would suggest checking them occasionally, just to be sure...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I put the 20mm whiteline bar in mine and used stock endlinks. Its very easy to unbolt/bolt on upgraded endlinks if you want to. Im never going to take my car to the track so I dont think im going to upgrade them.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put the 20mm whiteline bar in mine and used stock endlinks. Its very easy to unbolt/bolt on upgraded endlinks if you want to. Im never going to take my car to the track so I dont think im going to upgrade them.
Cool - I'll leave then stock then for now, I'm just looking for a bit more stability on the daily drive. Can I do the install on ramps or does the load have to be taken off the wheels (jack stands) ?

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,692 Posts
i dont want to steal a thread but i have a question about the sways-

i have an 02, and i think it has 13 mm f/r stock sway bars?

anyway, i am looking to upgrade them, and i think whiteline is probably the best choice for me, seeing as they have the best rep around this site. i want to go with 22mm f/r just because i do so much mountain driving and boy, do i HATE body roll. however, im starting to see some potential complications with going as big as 22mm. are there any other parts i will have to upgrade, like the endlinks or laterals? at the current moment, i really only have enough to do just the front and rear sway bars. which means i really cant afford extra stuff like the endlinks, bushings, and whatnot. so...would this mean i just cant do 22mm with everything else stock?

ive heard the wrx is a direct bolt on for the rear, but the front is different because of the turbo v n/a. wrx is 18 mm, sti is 20 mm right?

any opinions on what to do?

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Cool - I'll leave then stock then for now, I'm just looking for a bit more stability on the daily drive. Can I do the install on ramps or does the load have to be taken off the wheels (jack stands) ?
I made the same mod on my 09 and at first tried jack stands. Unfortunately, I had trouble jacking up the car with my friend's small jackstands. Anyways, ended up using ramps and that was sooo easy. Total install time 25~30min and it was my first suspension mod.

Good luck. You'll love the improved handling. :banana:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made the same mod on my 09 and at first tried jack stands. Unfortunately, I had trouble jacking up the car with my friend's small jackstands. Anyways, ended up using ramps and that was sooo easy. Total install time 25~30min and it was my first suspension mod.

Good luck. You'll love the improved handling. :banana:
Very cool - then ramps it is, made installing the hitch really easy. can't wait to get the RSB so I can install. I'm taking a trip to Vermont in a couple weeks and I like to go up through the mountains on the way there and there are lots of curvy roads :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RSB install this weekend!

It arrived today...will take pics of the installation tomorrow. Perfect timing long weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT
122 Posts
It arrived today...will take pics of the installation tomorrow. Perfect timing long weekend!
Cool! I got mine today, too, but I haven't opened the package.

Looking forward to your feedback and install pics.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RSB install - stalled...

Well I got all the old nuts off except one of the end link nuts is being a %^&*..and I think I'm going to have to cut the bolt off. The hex hole seems really shallow and I can't get enough pressure on it. It's almost all the way off, maybe 2 threads to go too.
Subaru parts can get me another set for $57 but not till Wednesday which blows, so maybe I should just order some kartboy links and change both ?

Any ideas - sucks not being able to finish, I'm soooo close.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Perrin RSB install - DONE!

So I removed the other end of the end link from the frame and was able to put the thing in my bench vise and ease the nut off. After that and a bunch of cleaner I was able to get the nut happy again and reinstalled ! Pics to follow.
Note - if you do this, take extra time to wire brush the threads on that stick out of the end link bolt (really all of the threads on all the bolts) and WD40 them. If they don't come off easy, you need to repeat. The greasing of the new bushings appears to be critical, they give you a tube with plenty to do the job. It might also encourage you find your significant other for some afternoon recreation....but I digress.
I set RSB in the "medium" setting for now, primarily because the center hole lines up with the original RSB single hole. Theoretically without changing the geometry by using another hole, the only change I'll feel is due to the bar being thicker etc. Time to clean up and go give it a test drive. I think I'll order the end links from Kartboy anyway as the stock ones seem pretty wimpy. Pics to come in a few.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took her for a spin on some winding roads and it definitely makes a difference. The back end seems more "seated" in the corners and much more confident. It does make the front end feel a bit "floaty" - which is purely perception - as it's doing what it normally does...but now there is contrast with the back end. Other than the nut issue this was an easy installation and well worth the $140. I'm going to leave it on "medium" for a couple weeks and once I get better end links I'll give "maximum" a shot.

I'm going to do some reading on FSB's next as I think that's the next move.

·
Registered
2014 2.0XT CVT
3,069 Posts
nice write up and thanks for the review, need to convince myself a little more to drop the money on this

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
The lateral link looks way different on the 09. I assume you don't need to reinforce the bracket the end links connects to like you do on the 04-08?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It made enough of a difference that my 16 yr old who never notices such things thought going around a traffic circle was much more "stable" ...Ordered up the FSB and front/rear end link kits from Perrin last night before the sale ended...what the heck, you only go round once :)

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The lateral link looks way different on the 09. I assume you don't need to reinforce the bracket the end links connects to like you do on the 04-08?
I guess not...is that the rear end because it looks really different

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
It made enough of a difference that my 16 yr old who never notices such things thought going around a traffic circle was much more "stable" ...Ordered up the FSB and front/rear end link kits from Perrin last night before the sale ended...what the heck, you only go round once :)
Yeah, isn't it an impressive improvement changing the RSB?? I always wonder why the forester didn't come this way. Didn't realize that Perrin was having a special on the front sway bar - guess I missed it. Let us all know how the car handles once you've got installed. I'm itching to modify the subaru and this may be the next thing to install... :icon_cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts