Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a 98 Forester from my father when he passed. He loved the car, and after driving it a couple of weeks, I understand why he kept it with over 300k miles on the odo.

However, there is a very perplexing issue I have been having. My wife and I were out of town over the weekend when the engine just lost power. I had no acceleration, and had to rev it out to 5000 rpm to even shift up a gear. I limped it to our overnight stay, and in the morning it was fine. I tested and replaced the ignition coil pack, and it was fine for a couple of days. Then today it happened again. I was driving down the interstate and just lost power. I turned the engine off, and then back on, and whatever it was went away, I was back to full power. It happened again later in the afternoon, and the same solution worked again.

What would cause this, and why does shutting the car off fix it?

FYI: before I replaced the coil, I had misfire codes on cylinder 3, since then I have only had the P1507 code show up.

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. What is the most likely culprit here? Should I start checking injectors, or the fuel pump? Or is it possible I just have a fuel line that needs to be insulated?

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to check or test for this? If it's vapor lock, why does shutting the car off and back on fix it?

·
Registered
1998 Forester Manual
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I had already seen that video. Could a bad neutral safety switch really cause my car to lose almost all power?

·
Registered
1999 L 4AT
1,216 Posts
Neutral Safety Switch? The boys in the vid should be calling it a Neutral Switch.

·
Registered
2002 Forester Automatic
45 Posts
I had similar issues with my 2002. Ended up being the upstream O2 sensor. It never threw a code for it, but I did have multiple missfire codes and horrible gas mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts