Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Sport CVT
631 Posts
When it comes to function, it is important to remember that the yellow symbol without the slash through it indicates that the Auto Start/Stop feature is deactivated (OFF). The symbol with the slash through it means that the Auto Start/Stop feature is active (ON) but temporarily not available. There are numerous reasons why this occurs. So, make sure you press the Off button until you see the yellow symbol without the slash.

Here is a quick video on function.

You can see some install notes on my modz page:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks for the post, I just received my AE026 one that goes in the EyeSight camera and was trying to figure out where those bolts were hiding...

·
Registered
49 Posts
They are above the black plastic plate that surrounds the switches. It just pops off, with a little pressure applied to the tab at the rear.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
2 Posts
Ordered the auto stop eliminator three days ago, cant complain about that. Installed in about two minutes and works so I am happy with the purchase. While I never should have needed to purchase this and that is on Subaru but anyway the device is well worth the money to me to make the annoyance go away.

Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 CDN Limited and really like it except for the stupid auto stop. Aside from annoying I find that it has a safety issue in that you can't just step on the gas and immediately move. After reading all the posts in this thread, I was about to pull the switch and jumper it when after a trip to the garden center with my trailer in tow I realized the engine wasn't stopping them remembered the post delineating all the conditions that prevented it from working. Once home I found an old trailer harness in the garage and plugged it in and even without the resistance of the trailer lights, NO AUTO STOP/START! I've been driving 2 days with it plugged in and no adverse effects, no warnings. My indicator shows white with a slash through it. I think this will become a permanent fixture. Thought I would let everyone one know so rather that the expensive harness, which admittedly I was tempted to buy, buy a spare trailer harness.
[/QUOT

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plugging in a “Dummy” trailer plug will also disable the Reverse Emergency Braking and the cross traffic alert and perhaps other safety systems?
I suspect it would then void insurance claims?
Putting a jumper switch in parallel with the auto start off switch, if not done properly may damage electrical systems and void warranty?
The “Autostart Eliminator, while not cheap is the best option I have been able to find and the simplest.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The AutoStop Eliminator is really the elegant solution to the problem, using the native CANbus communication system to turn off the function. There are also add-on devices that simulate a press of the auto start stop button that work. Anything else seems to be a work-around at best, all with some side-effects.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchased a new 2021 Forester. My question is can I permanently turn off the engine shutoff that takes when I stop ? I know that I can turn it off but I keep having to do it every time I restart the car.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,046 Posts
@32Deucecoupe welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Your thread has been merged with this existing thread that discusses what you want to do.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Just purchased a new 2021 Forester. My question is can I permanently turn off the engine shutoff that takes when I stop ? I know that I can turn it off but I keep having to do it every time I restart the car.
As is? ....no. That's by design. The auto stop / start feature will always reset each time so at each start up you'll have to disable by pushing the button.

You will need a solution like the Eliminator discussed in this thread. It will make the last choice permanent until you choose to turn it back on with a push of the button. Once off, it's off. Once on, it acts as it normally does and remains in until shut off again. ....but in the case of the Eliminator, it stays off.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Forester 2.5i-L
1 Posts
Man oh man. Just bought a 2017 Forester in Ausland and unfortunately it comes equipped with auto stop/start and the eliminator solutions don't look like they'll fit. Have read this whole thread and looks as though my only solution is the one made by @UPnorthMI('19+) - Permanently disable Auto Stop/Start ►... . I'm not hugely comfortable tackling this project as I've never even removed a panel before but auto stop may just be the catalyst.

Anyway joined to say thanks a bunch to all the forester owners who feel the same as I do about auto stop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best 99$ you will ever spend. Didn't realize how great it would feel being totally free of that nuisance. It's still there if you need it., " can't even imagine that scenario ". Hard to believe a new vehicle could be sold like that in our modern world. Thanks to supasta , message #209 with images for the overhead installation.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts