Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

201 - 220 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was one of the first buyers of this device for my 2019 Touring. Took 5 minutes (at most) to install, and it’s worked flawlessly ever since. Simple plug and play...I highly recommend it!
Thanks! I installed mIne yesterday on 6 days old 150miles 2020 forester! So far so good! It even cames with two tie wrap🤣!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
@StopSign

That must be really recent then. Thanks for pointing that out. Here's what that ordering page now says:

Please read carefully before selecting the type.
AE026 - Fits all trims and options. Installs overhead behind stereo camera. At this time we do not have instructions specific to the Forester, but the install is nearly identical to the Outback install.
AE022 - Slightly easier installation under left seat, but requires the Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB) option. Please do not order this type unless you are 100% certain you have the RAB option.

This is great news so thanks for sharing!

I must say that I'm not particularly happy with how they tap into the wiring by using the Eyesight system. That makes me a little uncomfortable to be honest. Also not sure about that cable tie fully resolving any rattle issues but I guess that's something you would simply have to re-address if needed.

Seems to me the harness is excessively long. Not sure why the module would need to be shoved so far down in there but maybe that's the only place it has clearance. I may wait on this a bit to see how others experience with the install is, any problems they encounter, etc.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
324 Posts
Seems to me the harness is excessively long. Not sure why the module would need to be shoved so far down in there but maybe that's the only place it has clearance. I may wait on this a bit to see how others experience with the install is, any problems they encounter,
I’ll let you know. I just purchased the product. My disdain for the auto stop/start has only grown every time I drive my 19.
The other day I was at an intersection waiting to cross traffic and the car stopped just as I took my foot off the brake and was trying to cross. Incredibly frustrating.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thanks @supasta . Let me know if you discover any tricks you think may work for a cleaner install, etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
@StopSign

That must be really recent then. Thanks for pointing that out. Here's what that ordering page now says:

Please read carefully before selecting the type.
AE026 - Fits all trims and options. Installs overhead behind stereo camera. At this time we do not have instructions specific to the Forester, but the install is nearly identical to the Outback install.
AE022 - Slightly easier installation under left seat, but requires the Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB) option. Please do not order this type unless you are 100% certain you have the RAB option.

This is great news so thanks for sharing!

I must say that I'm not particularly happy with how they tap into the wiring by using the Eyesight system. That makes me a little uncomfortable to be honest. Also not sure about that cable tie fully resolving any rattle issues but I guess that's something you would simply have to re-address if needed.

Seems to me the harness is excessively long. Not sure why the module would need to be shoved so far down in there but maybe that's the only place it has clearance. I may wait on this a bit to see how others experience with the install is, any problems they encounter, etc.

The Subaru CAN Bus circuit is a 2-wire communication link between most of the systems in the car and shows up on 2 pins on many of the connectors. Apparently the Eliminator drops a command to disable autostop/start onto the bus, but where it connects to the bus doesn't matter electrically, The RAB connector is easy to access, and probably the EyeSight connector is the next easiest. It might also depend on what matching connectors they could buy. I found this thread on the Crosstrek Forums with some info:

Model Year 2018 and Newer - Auto Start/Stop Disable:

·
Registered
324 Posts
@Kean
Absolutely. I’ll plan to do a write-up for the forum, and maybe a video since the manufacturer doesn’t have one up yet.

ETA:
Getting prepared to install on Monday as soon as the item delivers. In searching for how to remove the EyeSight cover in my MY19, I found this great write up from @darksands

And here is the Subaru service bulletin:
EyeSight Camera Cover Removal and Installation Cautions – 2019 Subaru Forester | Subaru

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Base Ice Silver Metallic
73 Posts
Good information, thanks. I just ordered today and will be installing later this week upon arrival. Will be on the lookout for your update and it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Received the AutoStop Eliminator today. Install took about 10 minutes. I was considering doing a write-up or a video, but the install is simply too easy and it would have been no different that what @darksands already did.
('19+) - 2019 - Fixing the rattle under Eyesight cover.

After removing the two bolts and using the pry tool to release the two clips, you'll need to gently pull down and forward (toward the windshield) to have the other clips release and the housing clear the EyeSight cameras. The cover will dangle from the wiring while you install the AutoStop Eliminator. I used double-sided tape to mount the small box and I used the included wire tie to secure the connections.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I took a spin around the block but couldn't get the stop/start to activate. I have some errands later today. That said, it does retain the setting after cycling the ignition.

I did take a couple of additional photos.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the photos. I look forward to receiving this week.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thanks @supasta for the insight. I think I may go ahead and do this myself in the near future.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are several 10% and 15% promo codes available if you decide to purchase. I used GMTRUCKS which saved $15 from the initial price and shipping was free.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also purchased this last week when I first noticed the new EyeSight connector version was available. I had been considering purchasing the version that connects only to the RAB connector and finding the needed connectors to adapter to my non-RAB Forester CAN Bus somewhere else, but the new release made the decision for me... As others have said, the installation is very easy, taking only a few minutes, and differing from the Outback install video only because the mounting screws are hidden from view by the black plastic plate surrounding the switches. Cutting and later replacing the existing plastic tie holding a cable where the Eliminator wire needs to be threaded may make that easier. Its important to be gentle with the cover.
Later enhancements could include keeping AVH on at all times, muting audio at startup, etc., if any of those are controllable via the CAN Bus.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Install complete and it was as easy as mentioned in the posts above. Thanks for the tips and photos!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Good to hear.

Just want to thank everyone for following up on the new install location.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring Mod CVT
9 Posts
I installed the Eliminator last week. I have the RAB unit under the seat so it was simple. I had to do something because the autostop feature is a safety hazard. I had several incidents when turning left at a light and finding the engine stopped. That few seconds delay changes the situation from having plenty of time to a close to call. The device works perfectly and I think the money well spent.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
91 Posts
Thank you everyone.

Goodbye Auto Start/Stop. I purchased the easier install AE022 as Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB) comes standard on the 2020 Forester Touring.

2019-2021 Subaru Forester Autostop Eliminator

AE022
- Slightly easier installation under left seat, but requires the Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB) option. Please do not order this type unless you are 100% certain you have the RAB option.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
2 Posts
Been thinking about about the auto stop eliminator since picking up my new forester but seeing the mention of the discount code above sealed the deal for me. Just ordered it.

201 - 220 of 236 Posts