Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey we just bought our first Subaru, a 2020 Forester, Limited trim level. We’re not fans of the auto shut off when at a stop. Is there a way to permanently disable it? We’ve seen that you can purchase an “eliminator” plug for $99 but hoping to do it without spending more money and not risking the warranty. Thank you in advane - Jolyne

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
849 Posts
Hey we just bought our first Subaru, a 2020 Forester, Limited trim level. We’re not fans of the auto shut off when at a stop. Is there a way to permanently disable it? We’ve seen that you can purchase an “eliminator” plug for $99 but hoping to do it without spending more money and not risking the warranty. Thank you in advane - Jolyne
I’ve had the eliminator devices installed on my 19 Touring for some time now, and it’s performed flawlessly. You still can toggle the feature on/off by depressing the control button on the dash. It simply eliminates the need to disable start/stop every time the vehicle is started.

Takes less that 5 minutes total time to install... literally “plug and play”. If you have a warranty issue, it’s easily removed if desired with no signs it was ever installed, and you can reinstall after the warranty work has been completed. However, I seriously doubt it would come into play unless you start seeing some really screwy electrical/electronic issues.

If your vehicle has RAB, then you’re a candidate for the device.

After spending $30+ grand on a new vehicle, I decided not to let another $100 get in the way of my enjoying it, but that’s just my viewpoint. Yours may be different.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
849 Posts
@Subbier It doesn’t need RAB, other than its interface was designed to use the wiring/signal setup on vehicles with RAB (which I’m guessing is different from vehicles without RAB).

Since the vehicles with RAB sell in a higher price range, they probably (and I’d guess correctly) guessed owners of those vehicles might be more inclined to pay another $100 to eliminate the “problem of start/stop”. Folks design their products for the market segment they think most likely to buy them...

As for any effect, I haven’t noticed any difference with the device since I installed mine a couple of months ago. Everything works the same, with the exception of having to toggle stat/stop.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
849 Posts
Just ordered the eliminator. The mental gymnastics one needs to perform to justify NOT paying 100 for this is ridiculous. So glad I found this thread
People can be funny at times...More than a few times, I’ve seen folks walks away from a $50K+ luxury vehicle deal because the dealership refused to go down another $100.00, and then buy a competitor’s model which they liked less, but ended up paying just as much (or more) to purchase... and never really enjoying the vehicle.

I guess for some, the only thing that matters is the principle of it all.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CWP/Brown 2018 Crosstrek Limited White/Gray
205 Posts
Just ordered the eliminator. The mental gymnastics one needs to perform to justify NOT paying 100 for this is ridiculous. So glad I found this thread
You'll be happy you did. I've got mine in April as soon as I heard about it (on this forum), it has worked flawlessly and even though I don't drive that much I feel it was money well spent. In fact I created the first review for it on their site. Installation is very easy, you may have to loosen the box (under the drivers seat, 10mm size), I had to because my hands are on the bigger size. But still very easy, install video is very good. They shipped it quickly too.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1 Posts
🙏🙏🙏

Best thread ever! Thanks guys, ordered my start stop eliminator today.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So glad I found this thread, just ordered my eliminator since my Sport came with RAB. I had auto stop / start on my Jeep JL and it's so awful!!! I hate that manufacturers are putting this crap on vehicles. You can't tell me it's ok for the car to keep stopping / starting and that there isn't any adverse effects on the engine and components.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited
37 Posts
I just received my eliminator yesterday. I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but will soon. I had a 2004 Civic Hybrid years ago and the stop/start feature was a lot smoother (and consistent) than in my Forester.

Edit: Well, that couldn't have been any easier to install. I hadn't planned on doing it today, but it took longer to watch the install video than to actually do it.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
849 Posts
I just received my eliminator yesterday. I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but will soon. I had a 2004 Civic Hybrid years ago and the stop/start feature was a lot smoother (and consistent) than in my Forester.

Edit: Well, that couldn't have been any easier to install. I hadn't planned on doing it today, but it took longer to watch the install video than to actually do it.
Yep... if you can plug in a coffeemaker to a wall outlet, you shouldn't have any problems installing the device. There wasn’t any way I could see to install it incorrectly, although I’m sure some joker could find one...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Has anyone tried to hook up a trailer hitch wiring plug. I wonder if that would permanently trick the auto start system.
Checked out the idea of fitting a genuine trailer plug and simply patching it into the wiring harness and leaving it in the rear well with the flap open. However, it seems that Subaru won't sell just the plug kit. Also, the plug kit has far more to it than just a patch harness. There are also at least two modules to fit as well. What these modules do is anyone's guess but they MAY alter other drive characteristics under the assumption that you are towing a load. Too much of a risk for my liking. It bugged me at first but now I just switch it off without thinking as part of my 'preflight'!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anybody know if the Reverse Automatic Braking will still work after installing this auto stop eliminator?

This is from their website
-This device requires the Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB) feature.
RAB is a standard feature on the Touring trim and an optional feature on the Limited and Sport trims-

Thanks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Yes, the intention is that everything is supposed to continue working just as it had. The only difference is supposed to be that the auto s/s button will work like a light switch that will remain on or off depending on the last setting. .....so if you turn it off once, it will stay off until you push the button again to turn it back on and vice versa.

It's noninvasive with it's inline harness that is simply plug and play. That's the reason so many like it. If needed, you just unplug it.

·
Registered
2020 Fozzie Sport
23 Posts
Just bought my Eliminator earlier today. Cannot wait for it to get here! I expect my starter to last 10X as long now!

181 - 200 of 236 Posts