Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Legacy L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 97 Legacy L Wagon for about a year now and I'm ready to purchase a performance chip that will increase torque and HP. If it saves on gas that's cool too. Anyone out there have a recommendation for which chip to use? Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
I have owned my 97 Legacy L Wagon for about a year now and I'm ready to purchase a performance chip that will increase torque and HP. If it saves on gas that's cool too. Anyone out there have a recommendation for which chip to use? Thanks!
Ummmm...please tell me it's not one of those $19.95 plug in chips that increases gas mileage, adds performance and cooks grits too.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
:yell:...don't do that. I'll give you my paypal if you want to piss away money...

"Chipping" is stupid. Plain and simple. If you go with Emanage or PP6 or something like that, where you can actually tune the motor, thats perfectly acceptable. What I think you are planning to do isn't...

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
If you are serious about adding some power, then I suggest doing some researching on the forum here. There is a ton of information which can be gained by the use of the "Search" button and a few well selected terms such as "power increase" with your engine size, etc.
The usual cost of the chip can usually be put towards a good tune up and a good air filter / intake. That in itself will usually give some more Butt-Horsepower. :biggrin:
Other things are changing exhaust and adding an honest "Access Port" for your computer if one is offered. You can then change your computer settings for real instead of just dumping more or less gas into the fuel injectors (most "chips" trick the computer into making your car run lean or rich to "increase power" or fuel mileage).

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,100 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Cerreta installed a chip and thinks it made his car faster lol see the video below...Its funny when he says.. sounds like a race car.. Im not sure but to me it doesn't seem any faster then mine is stock..
I hope the cat got out from under the FOZ before he started it........I noticed an unusual noise during the ignition sequence. :huh: Poor kitty!

I thought it was interesting to see how long it took to get to 60........I don't think mine takes that long...........Oh I forgot, I have a turbo charger! I thought there was something missing under the hood. Oops.

All of this is in jest...........but it is a very nice/informative video Cerreta. :rock:

·
Registered
1997 Legacy L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, everyone get a good laugh? Awsome... Perhaps it was a bad idea thinking I could reach out to the community for help. I guess everyone here is already a professional tuner. And here I thought this forum still had some class. Thanks for being so gracious and making me feel so accepted. Maybe I'll just wipe my donkey with a couple hundred bucks and call it good. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2004 Subaru FXT MT
1,841 Posts
So, everyone get a good laugh? Awsome... Perhaps it was a bad idea thinking I could reach out to the community for help. I guess everyone here is already a professional tuner. And here I thought this forum still had some class. Thanks for being so gracious and making me feel so accepted. Maybe I'll just wipe my donkey with a couple hundred bucks and call it good. Thanks again!
Nothing was meant personally. Chipping is simply unacceptable. And you were offered help...

Seriously, I have a 96 Outback, and I have been exploring options since I can't manipulate the ECU through opensource like I can on my 02 WRX and my 04 FXT. Short of major rework that I'm also exploring, Emanage and PP6 are your best bests if you want to tune your Legacy.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
dhammond5115,
I am sorry if you think I was trying to be an a$$. I was trying to make a very serious point, but I guess it was missed-for that part I do apologize.
The vast majority of the "chips" on the market are nothing but glorified resistors which trick your computer into making your engine run rich which causes all sorts of havoc in terms of emissions, plug fouling, etc, etc, etc.
Ceretta installed a "chip" which was mentioned in a post just above this one (and referenced the Ebay auction) and he seems to feel it has provided more power. Please keep in mind it is his feeling and is proven by a "Butt-Dyno".
As far as I know, he hasn't taken it to an actual tuner or dyno to see if it actually makes the estimated performance claimed. If I was not doing other things with my paycheck, I would actually consider spending the $90 for that particular chip (it does make some interesting points including pointing out the same warnings about other chips which I mentioned) and then taking it to a dyno for some before and after testing. (The same could be said for my "before and after" testing regarding the K&N drop in air filter I have.)
For the most part, everyone in here has a sense of humor and while I might have been a little sarcastic in my original post, I did try to explain my thoughts on it in my follow-up a few minutes later.
If you're ever in the area, come by, we'll grab a beer and we can discuss things with some tuner-friends of mine (i.e. Balanced Performance Motorsports in Sugar Hill, GA).
BTW-The beer offer is always open.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
So, everyone get a good laugh? Awesome... Perhaps it was a bad idea thinking I could reach out to the community for help. I guess everyone here is already a professional tuner. And here I thought this forum still had some class. Thanks for being so gracious and making me feel so accepted. Maybe I'll just wipe my a$$ with a couple hundred bucks and call it good. Thanks again!
I really see this as people trying to help you out. You asked a question and you received replies. While they may not have been what you were looking for they are sincere replies from the respondents and their feelings about the item in question. I would even bet that most did not reply because of the item in question and they did not want to offend you, but this is only my opinion about that. There are several things that can be done to a vehicle to supposedly improve performance like, if you remember, the "Vortex" wind thingy that you were to put in the air intake stream to increase fuel efficiency. These items, like the performance chip are considered by most, not all, to be snake oil. If you don't like the replies then just go ahead and get it for your ride and report back with results. You can always shut a snob up by proving them wrong, just make sure its documented and not just your opinion. I believe all here were trying to honestly save you $$$. There is a wealth of very, very knowledgeable, friendly people here, who are always willing to help. Please don't let this set you wrong on the site. And don't take this wrong but there is an old expression..........."don't cut off your nose to spite your face".

Yes,,, I am a geezer as the Mrs likes to call me.........or she'll say "where did you hear that geezer expression".

·
Registered
2000 UK S Turbo
446 Posts
There is a wealth of very, very knowledgeable, friendly people here, who are always willing to help. Please don't let this set you wrong on the site. And don't take this wrong but there is an old expression..........."don't cut off your nose to spite your face".
*Pops head over the wall*

I wholeheartedly agree.....and I certainly sense no malice here!!:Banane35:

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,006 Posts
Don't take any of the humor here for digs. It's just that performance chips are well known for adding absolutely nothing positive to this engine......

It's like the old "TurboFan" air intake gadget which promised more HP, more MPG, the entire thing......and it was proven, repeatedly, to be a complete waste of time and money.

The chip could even, under the worst of circumstances, cause real damage to your engine.

My advice, along with others is: avoid this like the plague and then laugh when someone else, new to the Forums, posts with a similar question.

There is no such thing as a free meal...........at best, these gadgets do nothing. At worst, you take your engine home in parts........go for a set of headers if you must spend some money to gain a couple of HP.........

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.