Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
08 Forester XT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Michellin xi2 for winter tires and I am still are running the stock Bridgestones and I am ready to replace them. I have been struggling to decide on a really good performance all season or a Summer tire that I can live with on a daily basis which I don't take on the track.

My two final picks are the following:
Size: 235/50/17

1) Advan S4 (All Season Performance)
2) Eagle f1 asymmetric (Summer Performance)

Goodyear has traditionally not been high on my list but I keep hearing how great these tires as a daily driver and especially great in the rain since I live the Pacific NW that is very important.

I have read some reviews on the S4 from Forester owners and they have been great but not how they are these in the rain? I haven't heard from any Forester owner about the Eagles though

I really want it all, the best performance dry and wet tire, that is a noticeable upgrade than my stock tire but that has low noise and a good ride.

Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
I really want it all, the best performance dry and wet tire, that is a noticeable upgrade than my stock tire but that has low noise and a good ride.
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

·
Registered
08 Forester XT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

I am looking for a cross section of 9.5" max on a 7.5" wheel and unfortunately the Pilot Sport A/S is listed at 9.7". If it fit without spacers on a Rota 2 17x7.5 wheel I would get it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd probably go down to a 225 and look for some different tires, I've spent hours on tirerack just narrowing down tire choices in any given size. Also, almost all 235/45 will clear the strut, but then you get tons of wheel gap.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Depends on the temperatures. Summer tires don't work very well when it starts to freeze. Though most summer tires will outperform all seasons in the rain.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
2,076 Posts
I have the Advan S.4s in that exact size. Both wet and dry performance is excellent IMO. I don't have any experience with the Goodyears.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
I'm running the Yoko Advan S4 tires and am very pleased with them. My only suspension mods are Swift springs on stock struts and a 20mm STi RSB with KD links. My camber is set to minus 1.5 degrees on all four corners and in combination with the P235/50-17 Advan S4s on Rota 17 X 7.5 ET48 wheels, it's a nicely balanced combination. For a daily driver with some "spirited driving" thrown in, the S4s are wholly adequate and ride much better than most summer performance tires.

Living in NH, I wanted a tire that wouldn't give up when the temps dropped and a little snow was on the pavement. The S4s have served well in that regard too. Once the real winter weather sets in, the Nokians go on.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts