Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K&N air filters and other "performance" air filters get mixed reviews. I would like to think one would enhance my S4 XT. Throw this one out there!:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,892 Posts
Pass. They don't filter as well and offer no advantages. If you do an oil analysis they leave in more silicon (dirt)

·
Registered
573 Posts
To be honest, drop in filters are one of those things that simply won't give you any appreciable gains. For me, any small gains there may be are offset by the risk mentioned of less than ideal filtering performance.

I wasn't aware folks have done oil tests to compare contaminants with one of those K&N's on but the results bman spoke of wouldn't surprise me. IMO, there is a reason some of those drop in filters have "better flow". ......they simply don't filter as well.

With the stock setup, I'd stick with OEM or similar. .....personally. If I were looking at a CAI depending on the application, setup, etc. it might be another story.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,239 Posts
@Kean LOL, I actually did do a before and after test with K&N with Blackstone Labs oil sample!!! And yes, it showed higher silicon content when running with the K&N. You can bet I tossed the K&N after that!

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,452 Posts
Get a Cosworth or Apexi air filter - Non-Reusable

·
SeasonedStalker
2017 XT Touring in CBS HT CVT
155 Posts
BrenTuning told me I got +6 hp with the AEM drop in panel filter and I like that it's cleanable and reusable. Less filters in the land fill. Just my 2c

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5 CVT
36 Posts
I swapped my K&N air filters out of all my cars, including the Subi, after seeing the Project Farm video a few months ago. Went back to OEM or paper media equivalent ASAP. The amount of particulates that made it past the K&N filter media was pretty astonishing.

As others noted, the minuscule performance gain, if any at all, to me isn't worth the additional risks and potential damage to the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts