Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built one of these up over three years ago. It was a weekend garage project with my then 10 year old son. We had a blast building it and it has proven to be one of the best "utility" investments I've ever made.

It is a 4 x 8ft utility trailer with a capacity of 1,175 lbs. The trailer itself weighs 287lbs and when you fit it with a plywood deck and side rails tips the scale at about 325lbs TOTAL.

It tows really well with the 12" tires, it FOLDS in half and takes up a measly 2ft x 5ft 3" spot in the garage for storage. I set it up for hauling Mountain Bikes (six at a time) with rails that come off with four large bolts so it's easy to convert to a flat bed utility hauler.

The big bonus? It only costs a whopping $250 and includes EVERYTHING but the wood (includes the trailer lights, wiring, tires, fenders, etc.). The catch is you've got to build it yourself, but it's a completely bolt together kit you put together yourself - like I said earlier it took my son (ten years old) and I probably about 6 hours total to put it together, and we had a blast doing it - perfect father/son project.

Here's the link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154

If you don't have a Harbor Freight shop nearby, you can find them on E-Bay for very cheap with cheap drop ship rates too.

I've got to haul some stuff today - I'll snap some picks of it hanging off the back of the Blubaru.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
That's the same trailer I use for work, except I've got the 8" tire (990 lb capacity).
It is quite simple to put together, just plan on 6-8 hrs depending on your skill level.
I went a few steps farther to make my setup more permanent.
Instead of plywood, I went over to the steel shop and got a piece of carbon steel diamond plate cut to 4x8.
After grinding the sharp edges down I drilled holes to match the frame mounting holes.
I also got the steel side kit for the trailer from harbor freight.
Then I made a "chuck wagon" style frame (but not as steep) from 1/2" pvc pipe which sits inside the trailer and supports the rain tarp.
Without it the rain will pond on the tarp.
I'll post a pic of the setup later today.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,830 Posts
Great. Thanks for telling us about this.

If you sign up for e-mail notifications at a Harbor Freight store you'll get a 20% off any one item coupon about once a week, mixed in with a 10% off your whole purchase and a $5 off one. They tend to be valid for a week or so. Unfortunately they can't be combined, and they don't work on mail order. There's no price limit on them and they do apply to sale items as well. I got $38 off of a drill press recently that was already on sale at about 2/3 of list price.

Harbor Freight stores are great! It's like walking through their catalog. I haven't bought anything by mail from them since they opened their stores and started charging for shipping over $50. Pooling our orders to get over $50 used to be a regular occurrence at work.

B

·
0 Posts
Great idea. Coincidentally, I visited the Harbor Freight store here for the first time last week, looking for some tools to do my trailer hitch install. What an interesting place - and I felt like I was on the set of Get-R-Done!

I like the feature that it only takes up 2x5 ft. in the garage too.

Looking forward to the pics!

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Thats a great trailer if you dont have alot of space, which would be really nice since we
are forced to keep out trailer on our farm when not in use, but that (would not?) haul
the two fourwheelers we haul around to different ice racing events, but def. a good option
for many people

I bought an alum. trailer (wasn't cheap)

Then I used pressure treated plywood to put over the aluminum, and also
made a front "backing"

Then, purchased a storage box that fits like a "V" on the tounge

Here she is, with some wood (and our jeep)

S

·
0 Posts
That's a great trailer. While youre at Harbor Freight, check out another essential tool for any "car guy (or gal)", the aluminum floor jack. This thing is a "knock off" of the famed NASCAR jack and it works great. Plus, at around $100.00 versus $1000.00 or so the original, it's a deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CSBOMB said:
I built one of these up over three years ago. It was a weekend garage project with my then 10 year old son. We had a blast building it and it has proven to be one of the best "utility" investments I've ever made.

It is a 4 x 8ft utility trailer with a capacity of 1,175 lbs. The trailer itself weighs 287lbs and when you fit it with a plywood deck and side rails tips the scale at about 325lbs TOTAL.

It tows really well with the 12" tires, it FOLDS in half and takes up a measly 2ft x 5ft 3" spot in the garage for storage. I set it up for hauling Mountain Bikes (six at a time) with rails that come off with four large bolts so it's easy to convert to a flat bed utility hauler.

The big bonus? It only costs a whopping $250 and includes EVERYTHING but the wood (includes the trailer lights, wiring, tires, fenders, etc.). The catch is you've got to build it yourself, but it's a completely bolt together kit you put together yourself - like I said earlier it took my son (ten years old) and I probably about 6 hours total to put it together.

Here's the link:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154

If you don't have a Harbor Freight shop nearby, you can find them on E-Bay for very cheap with cheap drop ship rates too.

I've got to haul some stuff today - I'll snap some picks of it hanging off the back of the Blubaru.
Awesome!! This would be perfect! Looking forward to the pictures.

Couple questions. You can add side rails, correct? If you have the rails installed, is it still a 4x8' bed? Just trying to see if a piece of plywood would fit with the side/rails installed.

-S

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The kit comes with instructions for building your own wood side rails, Harbor Freight actually sells steel side rails for it.

Indeed, it does JUST fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood (or drywall, or whatever you want to carry that's up to 4x8ft).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Boca_Yid said:
That's the same trailer I use for work, except I've got the 8" tire (990 lb capacity).
It is quite simple to put together, just plan on 6-8 hrs depending on your skill level.
I went a few steps farther to make my setup more permanent.
Instead of plywood, I went over to the steel shop and got a piece of carbon steel diamond plate cut to 4x8.
After grinding the sharp edges down I drilled holes to match the frame mounting holes.
I also got the steel side kit for the trailer from harbor freight.
Then I made a "chuck wagon" style frame (but not as steep) from 1/2" pvc pipe which sits inside the trailer and supports the rain tarp.
Without it the rain will pond on the tarp.
I'll post a pic of the setup later today.
Since you installed the steel side kit, did the rails take away from the 4x8 size? I noticed on the website the rails sit on the edge of the bed. Could you still fix a 4x8 sheet of plywood inside with the rails installed? If I can't, I might have to make rails that fix into the slots on the outside edge of the trailer.

-S

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mounting brackets for the side stakes are on the outer perimeter of the frame. When you put the stake sides on, they're essentially "flush" around the 4x8 perimeter of the trailer (as long as you mount the horizontal cross bars to the OUTSIDE).

A 4x8 sheet fits...it's a tight fit (4x8 sheet on a 4x8 bed - duh), but it works.

There are some tighter pics here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FREE...iewItemQQcategoryZ6755QQitemZ4624670691QQrdZ1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5x8-...Z6755QQitemZ4624882527QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'll take some pics this evening and post them.

NOTE: I've got a Harbor Freigh sales flyer at home...listing this thing as on sale for $229 until the end of the month.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
I want to get one of those Harbor Freight trailers soon for hauling my motorcycle. Garage space is limited, and the fold-up feature will let me stash it against the wall of the garage instead of leaving it out in the driveway.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Bravo12 said:
I want to get one of those Harbor Freight trailers soon for hauling my motorcycle. Garage space is limited, and the fold-up feature will let me stash it against the wall of the garage instead of leaving it out in the driveway.
Note that a wood bed and sides prevent it from folding! Or at least you have to spend more time making it foldable, and also have storage space for the pieces.

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MountainBiker said:
Note that a wood bed and sides prevent it from folding! Or at least you have to spend more time making it foldable, and also have storage space for the pieces.
All you have to do is cut the flooring sheet in 1/2. Mine is still perfectly foldable with the plywood in place (cut in half of course). I never fold mine up anymore...my "yard" is kinda large and the likelyhood of anyone coming around to steel it is very, very slim.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
As promised:

"Chuck wagon" frame from 1/2" PVC.
You need assemble the double lateral bracing and LET IT SET before you attach the curved upper pieces.

The whole rig with tarp on:

I'll take some better pics & replace these phonecam pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Boca_Yid said:
As promised:

"Chuck wagon" frame from 1/2" PVC.
You need assemble the double lateral bracing and LET IT SET before you attach the curved upper pieces.

I'll take some better pics & replace these phonecam pics when I get a chance.
Boca....since you have the steel sides installed, what are the inside dimensions? I know if you use the stake mounting brackets on the outside (for the side stakes), the inside is at least 4'x8', but with the steel sides, It looks like you lose some inside space due to the thickness of the side rails. Are the steel sides easy to install and remove or do you have to unbolt the sides?

-S

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,830 Posts
Harbor Freight has two of these trailers on sale at their stores till April 12th.

- 90154, 12" tires, 1175 lb payload, Regular $289.99, Sale $229.99

- 42709, 8" tires, 990 lb payload, Regular $239.99, Sale $189.99

You can find the detailed specs on either of these at www.harborfreight.com . Just enter the item number into the search box. Note that prices on the Web site will be different from those at the stores.

Combine either of these sale prices with a 20% off coupon and you've got a great deal! You can sign up for the coupons (they come by e-mail) through a link at the home page.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
StringFellow said:
Boca....since you have the steel sides installed, what are the inside dimensions? I know if you use the stake mounting brackets on the outside (for the side stakes), the inside is at least 4'x8', but with the steel sides, It looks like you lose some inside space due to the thickness of the side rails. Are the steel sides easy to install and remove or do you have to unbolt the sides?

-S
When you use the stakes the inside is EXACTLY 4x8.
You will lose about 1.5" all around from the side kit, but a 4x8 sheet will sit on top perfectly.
Sides & front are bolted. Rear is removable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I picked up one of these trailers at my local Harbor Freight store and completed the assembly this weekend. The assembly of the trailer took about 4 hours, but it took another couple hours to troubleshoot the lights. There are 3 sections of the trailer; front and rear sections of the trailer bed and the section that connects to the trailer ball on your car. Well, the paint hindered the grounding between the various sections. I had to add grounding wires between the sections to get all the lights to work. I am sure as the paint wears off at the bolts points, the ground issues would have resolved themselves. But until then, the lights didn't light.

Overall, very good quality and well worth the money. The manual is acceptable and not all the parts matched the manual. The tires and hub came pre-assembled, but the manual stated they weren't. There were a couple other issues like this, but looking at the parts and the manual pictures helped resolve those issues.

Now the hardest part......I have to visit the MVA this week to get plates for the trailer. Oh, so much fun will be had!!! :rolleyes:

-S

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
StringFellow said:
Now the hardest part......I have to visit the MVA this week to get plates for the trailer. Oh, so much fun will be had!!!
Bring the "Certificate of Origin" that came in the box.
That's all they should need (along with your ID of course).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking at the Harbor Freight trailers and was surprised to read in the manual that it is only rated to 45mph....well below my cruising speed! :wink:

Does anyone know why they would be limited to this speed? I would have thought the 12 inch tires would have made highway speeds less of a concern.

Too bad, the price is definitely attractive.

Don

1 - 20 of 24 Posts