Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 XS AT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a recommended service/replacement interval for the PCV valve? I can't find one.

I just got a 120k service quote from my local dealer, and it's on there. The maintenance schedule doesn't call for it. Does anyone have a recommendation for when and if it needs to be replaced?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
1999 Forester S
74 Posts
It's not on the Subaru maintenance schedule, at least it wasn't for any Subaru I've owned.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/subaru-maintenance-schedule-us-1060/

The dealer here seems to suggest them on their 60k service (and every subsequent 60k). You can do the rattle test, see if the ball inside it is still freely moving, to test it. It's easier to get to on the N/A motors than the turbo motors (with the intercooler having to be removed) so it's not too difficult to test it, 19mm deep socket if I recall. If I was doing the work myself, I'd probably just buy one and replace it since you've got 120k on it and it's a cheap part. Some people will just clean them too, but I don't care for messing around chasing problems around so I usually just replace inexpensive parts as preventive maintenance.

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
Theoretically you replace it when it is broken. I do it with timing belt replacements (105K miles) if it hasn't been done yet. When it goes bad, the consumption will catch almost everyone by surprise, so it's nice to replace it when it gets old. And at $11 or so, it's not a huge expensive on top of that timing belt bill.

·
Registered
2004 XS AT
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems pretty simple to do, so I think I'll add it to my to-do list with the rest of the 120k work I'll be doing this weekend. When I'm done, I'll have to add up my cost of parts so that I can righteously grumble at the dealer's overall estimate: they wanted $701 for the 120k service.

·
Registered
03 Forester XS MT
208 Posts
Do you have to use any Locktight to secure it or is it just removed/replace? On all my previous cars I never used anything.

·
Registered
03 Forester XS MT
208 Posts
Thank you.

I was going to buy a new one, but I'm just going to take the old one out and clean it with some brake cleaner and put it back in. Assuming it needs to be cleaned at all. 134k miles. I'm not sure if the previous owner replaced it at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts