Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quite surprised when I went for a hike on Monday to find that the lot was empty. This is because everyone parked on the street. I parked on the street as well.

I was at Bear Creek in Kelowna. The rates were stupid. Imagine getting a parking ticket because you took longer than expected on a hike. :crazy:

Has BC become the penny pincher province? Whats next...a tax that combines the GST and PST??:raspberry:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
The bear creek trails are part of the Bear Creek Provincial Park, parking is $3 or so right? that's the standard for PP day use areas;

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/fees/parking.html

Day-Use Parking Fees
The day-use vehicle parking fee is $1.00/vehicle/hour to a maximum of $3.00/vehicle/day (including all taxes).

Day-use parking Fees apply in 27 provincial parks on Vancouver Island and in the Lower Mainland and 13 provincial parks in the Thompson and Okanagan areas. See the list of parks where parking fees are applicable.

All fees collected are reinvested into all provincial parks and protected areas throughout British Columbia.

Bear creek has problems with car breakins, my brother had his 240sx broken into there, they put the stuff in the trunk and everything.. nasties drive through the lots and case you as you walk away from your car there.

and I thought you were heading to SunPeaks?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
It ispretty common to pay to park on hiking trails here in WA. We usually buy a pass. What sucks is you need a different pass for spring/summer and for fall/winter

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Would be nice if they did that out here to help pay for upkeep of the parks. Most of the parks out here have been shut down (they're locking the gates and everything, and citing people who enter) due to being cut out of the state budget.

A lot of the areas near me in NJ have also started to degrade due to no one taking care of the area. I've often thought that they should require a season pass or something for use of parks/hiking areas so that the people who are just screwing around will be kept out (the highschool kids partying in the woods and leaving beer cans and bonfire remnants everywhere) and the parks would have a bit better upkeep for the people who enjoy them. If they don't start charging here, the parks will likely end up as the next housing development/mall (theres already a housing development overlooking the area me and my gf hike the most, it used to be part of the hiking trail!)

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS
1,066 Posts
Well, when cruising on Gas Buddy it was refreshing to see we in BC are contributing to the economy by paying the highest gas prices in NA and they will go up a bit more on July 1. Has anyone had a increase in income lately?

87-92 cents in Calgary,93-96 cents in TO etc etc etc.

Barry Penner is still awesome, Colin Hansen is even awesomer and Gord is just the awesomest!

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
i dont mind the fees at all, but i do hate how the funds are allocated. if a park brings in $100,000 for the year, it may only see a small chunk of it as it goes into the general fund and is used for many other things.

The money a park brings in should beused on the upkeep of that park and any surplus should goto smaller parks nearby that do not raise as many funds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts