Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the pwr window switch on the passenger's side is not working correctly. The passenger can open the window but cannot close the window. The passenger switch on the driver's side works the passenger window on both open and close. Any ideas what is wrong with the switch on the passenger side?? Thank you.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
38 Posts
My guess is a dirty switch.

Years ago I had the same problem, my mechanic sprayed WD40 into the switch. Worked the switch a few times and it fixed the problem. The switch was working fine when we got rid of the vehicle a few years later.

I'm sure there are better products to use for cleaning a switch but it worked great on my problem switch.

It was sure a quick and easy fix. Took all of one or two minutes to cure the problem. It was surprising to me WD40 worked on an electrical switch.
I would recommend doing a little homework on any pro's or con's before reaching for WD40.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion, GTOJim. I have no problem spraying WD-40 on my window switch. My only question is, did that mechanic take the switch out of the door or just spray the WD-40 into the switch from the top?

·
Registered
2009 Forester
38 Posts
He sprayed the switch from the top. Nothing was taken apart or removed.

Please let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
2001 Fortster
7 Posts
Worked for me

Sorry to drag this up from the dead. I had to try this, and it worked. I have used WD-40 for years, yes it does kind of work for an electrical connector dryer ie. distributors and light connections, others are better.

I sprayed throught the top in behind the switch and then lifted and in the crack there. Kind of filled the little well up with oil and then worked the hell out if it. Didn't do anything at first, but left it over night and worked the switch more the next day added more WD-40 and then it started to get action.

Seems to be working after two days, just waiting to see how long it will last. I'm not going into the door for a while yet, cleaning the contacts is going to happen then.

Thanks! Another score for the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts