We have a 2010 Forester that is just going on 3700 miles, I made an
appointment for the 3750 mile oil change today and asked about why
the passenger warning light constantly goes between on and off. My
wife is almost always in the car with me. He asked how much she
weights, I said around 120lbs, and was told that there isn't enough
weight on the seat to keep the airbag light on. I was told that if the
light isn't on, then it is not connected and in case of an accident, the
airbag will not go off. The past vehicles that I have had always had the
passenger airbag on unless you turned it off with a switch on the dash.
The way this Subaru is set up does not seem to be the safest way to do
this. I can see not wanting to have the bag go off with a small child in the
seat, but it won't work with an adult because she happens to weigh less
than what subaru conciders to be an adult? Any comments?

·
Super Subie Fan
2004 Forester XT 6spd MT (2005 STI)
287 Posts
Steak... lots of steak... and potatoes!:biggrin:

Actually, while a dealership would do nothing to re-wire a safety feature that is stock, if you know someone who is an electrical engineer and you have access to the wiring diagram of the systems, you could probably bypass the weight sensor to turn the system to full time on, or add a switch to turn it on or off.

Then again, this could be very dangerous!

My other thought on the matter would be, is the sensor directly in the seat fabric under the butt, or is it else where, so if you were to add a weight under the seat to increase the downforce on the pressure switch.

I am not familiar with the system on the new Forester, just throwing out thoughts.:Banane37:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pleiad7;

Thank you very much for the link to the previous thread about this subject,
this is something that has been going on for some time and
subaru knows there is a problem. I'm surprised that subaru hasn't gotten
a lawsuit over this, it is only a matter of time. One of the things that
sold us on this car is the safty rating. I don't know about anymore.

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
If your wife is that light/small, she (or anyone that size) would be safer without an air bag. That Includes while in the driver seat. Actually it is even more true in the driver seat because she is so much closer to the air bag.

The only Independent study of air bag crashes I have seen showed an average 2% decrease in serious injury, in crashes at the speeds the air bag was designed. When the researcher broke down the numbers the found that the air bag reduced injuries in MEN by 10%, BUT the air bag INCREASED the chance of serious injury in WOMEN by 8%!!! The researchers where puzzled my this, so the broke the numbers down even more and they found that the further away you get from 180 lbs 5'11" (the average size on an adult male and also the standard size for the test dummies they designed it for), the less likely you are to be uninjured by the air bag itself.

The Manufacturers give an arbitrary AGE to say when it is OK for someone to sit in an air bag seat, but if you think about it, your child isn't suddenly "mature enough" to have an air bag go off in their face. It has to do with the size of the person REGARDLESS OF AGE.

Damn, I wish I still had they article.

Air bag safely tips to remember: When behind a steering wheel with an air bag, sit as far back as you can at all times. This will give the air bag the room it needs to inflate. You want to hit the air bag AFTER it has inflated, not while it is inflating at some 200 mph in the opposite direction you are traveling. If you have a tilt steering wheel, try and aim it at your chest. In the passenger seat do not put anything on the dash, especially your feet.

·
Registered
09 Forester X touring
66 Posts
I seem to be having similar issues with my 09X, sometimes when i start it the airbag light stays on, sometimes i have a passenger(most of the time my 17lb brother) , other times the seat is empty. I can get it to go away if i shut it off then restart it most of the time but not always. And to top it off one day it was chiming the the passenger wasn't wearing the seat belt when the seat was perfectly empty till i gave the seat a good punch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts