Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you experience problems w/ the passenger airbag light not going on for lighter people? I'm 140lbs, and my wife, 100lbs, when she sits there, the light often stays on the "off" mode. I don't know what the threshold is for weight that will activate the sensor, but it seems to be set rather high. When I sit there, it seems to always be on the "on" position. Is this sensor sensitivity normal or should I bring it in to have it serviced on? Thanks!

Dave

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the material.. good to know how it works.. well done RacerX. I think i'm gonna bring it in when I get the chance.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out there's a Safety Campaign 3/9/2007, for the Front Passenger Seat Wiring WVC-13 for the 2006 Foresters and Imprezas. For those w/ 2006s, make sure you get this issue checked out at your dealer. It can 1) disable your passenger front airbag and 2) may cause fire.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Turns out there's a Safety Campaign 3/9/2007, for the Front Passenger Seat Wiring WVC-13 for the 2006 Foresters and Imprezas. For those w/ 2006s, make sure you get this issue checked out at your dealer. It can 1) disable your passenger front airbag and 2) may cause fire.
:icon_eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Passenger Air Bag Sensor in 07 Forrester

We test drove a forrester the other day and my wife, say 100+ lbs, was in the passenger seat for a bit of the ride. On a turn, her air bag would disable.. and when we would settle down.. it would enable.

This seems like a saftey hazard for her in our opinion..

Is this just too bad? And in case of an accident while making a turn, she's getting no airbags ?

We have not bought one yet.. finding about 21.5K for an 08 X PP.

S

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5X Auto
75 Posts
I've had this same problem. A lighter person will sit in the Passenger seat and on corners and whatnot, the "airbag off" light will come on, but when leveling out, the "airbag on" light will come back on. I thought it odd...:icon_question:

·
Registered
2007 Sports 2.5XT
22 Posts
Passenger Airbag!

So we own the 2007 2.5xt sports and have been having this issue after we bought it. My wife weights 125lbs and I'm 160. The passenger airbag light goes on and off on her all the time. We have had the dealer recalibrate the sensor twice and it's still going on and off. The dealer says it's supposed to be set for 80lbs and the sensor determines when it's safe for the airbag to go on and off. We've been in some heated arguments about why a sensor gets to pick when my wife gets to have an airbag. I've called Subaru corporate and spoke with a lady named Jodi. Their number is 800.782.2783. I strongly urge you all to call and report this. I have also opened a claim with the NHTSA regarding this issue as well. She is a normal sized woman and should have an airbag at all times. I plan on calling back Sub Corp and reporting that the dealer's recal didn't work, again. We are not sure what to do about this other than let her drive all the time. Not sure why Sub thinks it's ok for her to have an airbag then?

Please keep us informed on any updates.

Thank you

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
My understanding is that the sensor is only there for weight, and has nothing to do with a safety decision making. I see it as an on/off switch there to prevent the airbag from going off if a child/baby is in the front seat. You have a good argument.

·
Registered
2007 Sports 2.5XT
22 Posts
That's why I'm so concerned. It is an on/off switch that's based on weight but it's suppose to be desgined to protect small kids but as long as it keeps going off and on there is a very good chance she could be seriously injured in a major crash if, for whatever reason, the sensor decides the airbag should be off.

I have asked Sub to consider replacing the sensor and they wanted to recal again. I let them and it's still going on/off so it's time to press for a change out. If that doesn't work the only thing I can think of is having them install a manual on/off key (like they put in trucks with no back seat). I think that may be a very difficult to make them do so it may have to be aftermarket but I don't want to go there. This really sucks as we love our Sub but I love my wife a lot more.

·
Mr. October 2008
2008 XT Sports 5spd
71 Posts
I noticed that the weight sensors seem sensitive to where the weight is. I have a 170 lb friend that was riding with me. He sits with his rear a bit forward on the seat in a slouch position, and the airbag would turn off around some spirited corners, or when he'd roll slightly to get his cell phone out of his pocket. Maybe see if your wife can find a good sitting position that keeps the airbag on consistently?

·
Registered
2007 Sports 2.5XT
22 Posts
passenger airbag Sensor

You're right about the position of how she is sitting being an issue. If she leans to one side or tries to sit crossleg on the seat the airbag light will go off. The problem is that when she moves back to normal the light doesn't go back on. Plus as before, she is a normal sized person and she should have an airbag regardless of how she's sitting. I don't want to be driving back some night while she's sleeping or leaning over to change the radio and have a deer run out in front of us (happens a lot in TX) or have some car switch lanes etc. The point is we she should not have to constantly monitor how she is sitting to ensure the airbag is going to work. They are there to protect you when you can't avoid a major accident. She literally has to jump up and down on the seat to make the light come back on. When we got hit in my old Acura RSX (guy ran a red light in a huge SUV) her airbag went off just fine and there was a weight sensor in that as well, it was just better positioned. Really I think it's just a poor desgin that is causing this issue.

·
Registered
2007 Sports 2.5XT
22 Posts
Just a quick update. We were driving around this weekend and we went to get some takeout. I was in the passenger seat (I weigh in at 160) and sure enough the airbag sensor shut off. I had my legs spread a bit to the sides as the takeout food was on the floor in front of me. I played with it a bit this weekend too and was able to make it do it again a few time, especially with the seat positioned further back than usual.

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Just a quick update. We were driving around this weekend and we went to get some takeout. I was in the passenger seat (I weigh in at 160) and sure enough the airbag sensor shut off. I had my legs spread a bit to the sides as the takeout food was on the floor in front of me. I played with it a bit this weekend too and was able to make it do it again a few time, especially with the seat positioned further back than usual.
Wow, definitely take it to the dealer and do whatever you did to replicate that. They may have to replace the sensor.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,073 Posts
It shouldn't do it on a normal size human UNLESS their seat is pulled too close the airbag detonation area. If the airbag comes out while someone is too close or leaning forward it can cause serious burns. I know in some cars the force it comes out at is adjusted for weight, seatbelt in use, and seat position.

Before they made this kind of functionality, I saw a couple of instances of the airbag hitting someone too close and they were hurt quite badly.

I'm so scared of the airbag hitting me in the face that I drive like a 'homey g'

·
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
It shouldn't do it on a normal size human UNLESS their seat is pulled too close the airbag detonation area. If the airbag comes out while someone is too close or leaning forward it can cause serious burns. I know in some cars the force it comes out at is adjusted for weight, seatbelt in use, and seat position.

Before they made this kind of functionality, I saw a couple of instances of the airbag hitting someone too close and they were hurt quite badly.

I'm so scared of the airbag hitting me in the face that I drive like a 'homey g'
I don't recall seeing a distance detector on the passenger seat; just a weight and seatbelt sensor.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts