Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to take off my front splash guards yesterday and apparently broke out the captive nut on BOTH sides. Does any one have the part number or even the official name for this part? I will lavish someone with praise who comes up with the part number!

I've seen it called a u-nut, speed nut, c clip captive nut among other things.

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the effort! I didn't have any luck on opposed forces unfortunately. Number 7 is one of those clips where the center part is pushed down to fully trap the outside part of the clip inside a hole.

I'm wondering if it came with the splash guards? But that seems sort of silly, there must have been something there originally before the splash guards to make sure the liner stayed in.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
If you don't get a response tonight, send a PM and link to this thread to Jackie at Annapolis. If she can provide you with a part number you maybe will be able to source it locally. Hell it might even be sourced at an Advance Auto parts or similar parts store.

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'll give that a go. Tomorrow I'm going to try to stop at a few auto stores, and maybe even a dealership if i can. I am concerned that I broke out what ever the clip was clipped to when i was taking it off. But for the life of me, i can't think of anything i did that was off. Rear guards came out fine, fronts...not so much.

·
Premium Member
2004 2.5 XT Premium 4EAT
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I gave up on trying to figure out what the part number was. I'm really starting to think that those clips are part of the splash guards kits. I noticed that there's at least one of the same kind of clip holding the rear splash guards on as well.

When the clips came out, they took a chunk of the body panel with them. So that bottom body panel closest to the wheel well is made of plastic. When the captive nut/clip tried to spin, the softest thing gave, which was the body panel unfortunately.

So when i went to reattach the flaps, i used an extruded speed nut and a stainless bolt. Unfortunately, i couldn't find an extruded speed nut that was small enough to use a bolt with an 8 mm head, so now to take off the flaps i need an 8mm and 10mm socket. Additionally, the chunk that came out of the body panel is relatively large. this means that the extruded speed nut wasn't wide enough to cover the entire tear, which is a shame. But at least the flaps are back on and are holding up pretty well.

Thanks for all the help good dog!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts