Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what type and where you can get replacement bulbs for the round little "eyelet" parking lights in the top corner of each headlight? Also, how difficult is it to replace one those bulbs? It looks like you have to take apart the entire headlight assembly to get them out.

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
It's a 168 wedge or 194 Wedge. A W5W bulb will also work. In order to replace it you have to pull off the grill, pull of the grill side pieces and then remove the headlamps.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which is brightest? I'm looking for a much brighter alternative to the stock bulbs. Also, are there any guides on how to replace those? (Peaty, I'm looking in your direction :D )

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
When I purchased my UK Osram H1's they (powerbulbs.com) threw-in a set of Philips W5W 12V 5W Ultra Blue 3400deg bulbs. Look is just as white as the h1's. Real nice :D imho.

Jeff
MY06 FXT

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Have you registered your Forster on http://my.subaru.com ?? It's free and it also gives you online access to your owners manual in .PDF format. Once in there, just look up bulbs and it'll take you right to the install page.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well whaddya know, youre right! LOL, guess I'll check the manual first next time! Thnx guys.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
21 watt wedge bulb

If you want a brighter bulb, try a 7440 (W21W). It is a slightly larger wedge bulb that is 21 watts rather than 5 watts. Same base as a 17177 (WY5W). I've not tried it in my 06 Forester. They worked fine in my Toyota pickup.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always heard LEDs are brighter than regular bulbs.....anyone know if thats true?

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Quick note / Gotcha on the grill replacement. It comes off just as described in the Owners Manual, but the 3 lower clips (left, center, and right) stay on the body. If you try to replace the grill with these still in place, you will be headed to a dealer for replacement clips (about $2.50 each and in stock).
To save the clips and make it easier, remove the clips from the body. The release is on the bottom edge of the clip toward the body. Then mount the clips on the grill. Position the grill against the body lining up all 5 holes and just push back in place.
I went through 2 sets of these on mine and a friend's car before I learned to remove them before replaceing the grill.

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
Some LEDs approach the brightness incandescants produce; but I cannot imagine anything being more dim and pathetic than those stock parking lights.

·
Registered
13 Work Boot Do it yourself
583 Posts
Guys better watch out for burning of the harness and socket...

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"LED's will be fine, but do not exceed the stock wattage with stock wiring, or you're asking for a meltdown"

Crap....I ordered a set of 7440 LEDs that DennisC linked to above and now you mention that....lol. Think theres still any danger in trying them?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Eurgiez said:
"LED's will be fine, but do not exceed the stock wattage with stock wiring, or you're asking for a meltdown"

Crap....I ordered a set of 7440 LEDs that DennisC linked to above and now you mention that....lol. Think theres still any danger in trying them?
Just keep an eye on them. That wattage is much higher than stock (5 compared to 21). I replaced the bulbs in my foglights and headlights, ended up with a melted harness on the headlight (known issue with subaru's apparently) and a discoloured reflector in the fog light (burnt to a golden colour). The fog light bulb at stock is 55w, but the replacement was at 80w!.

Yours might be ok? because of the much lower wattage.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dont LED's burn much cooler than bulbs as well?

·
Registered
2004 Forester SX
244 Posts
The LED replacements should be okay - they draw far less power than the incandescants.
Please post pix once you are done...

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,683 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "wattage" on a LED is supposed to indicate the power that would be consumed by an indandescent bulb that produces the same amount of light. That way the bulb people get to claim a bigger number in their advertising.

·
Registered
13 Work Boot Do it yourself
583 Posts
Ive seen after market "anything" bulbs of the same wattage and they still melted the plugs in days not even weeks..
Nick

1 - 20 of 31 Posts