Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my 09 forester last night and parked it in front of house like normal. engaged the parking brake but now it won't disengage this morning. Please help!!!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
This model is lightly different than the previous generation but I'll give it a try.
First when you pull the release does it pull very easily? Has it ever done this before? How cold is it there? Auto or manual transmission.
You could try putting it in gear and move slightly forward then put it in reverse and at the same time pull on the release. The parking brake is cable operated and moisture could have frozen the release in place.

This is only a start, others will chime in remember there are time zones for everyone here.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an automatic transmission and the temp last night was probably about 8 F.

I can't even get the button to push in! It has never done this before. My fiance is the one who parked the car last night and he engaged the parking brake further than I normally do.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Did you try lifting up on the brake handle as you push the button?

When I put the brake on, our daughter has the same complaint, so I showed her how to just lift up while pushing the button to release it.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
It is an automatic transmission and the temp last night was probably about 8 F.

I can't even get the button to push in! It has never done this before. My fiance is the one who parked the car last night and he engaged the parking brake further than I normally do.
The parking brake must have been pulled up to it's limit, I'd still try what I recomended, you should be able to try to release the button as the car moves slightly in gear.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Don't let fiance drive car.
2. Get different fiance.
Since neither of these are options, I'll try the pulling up on the brake to see if that works. But I will scold fiance and make him fix the problem in the future!

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Did you try lifting up on the brake handle as you push the button?

When I put the brake on, our daughter has the same complaint, so I showed her how to just lift up while pushing the button to release it.
That's really what I was trying to say, I'll blame it on a headache, damn barometric pressure swing:yell:

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,251 Posts
If you have drums in the rear its frozen. Never put the E Brake on in cold weather especially if its a drum. Honestly I am not sure you can do anything til warm weather short of removing the wheel and banging on it. Try backing/going forward with it released (Finger on the button)

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
If you have drums in the rear its frozen. Never put the E Brake on in cold weather especially if its a drum. Honestly I am not sure you can do anything til warm weather short of removing the wheel and banging on it. Try backing/going forward with it released (Finger on the button)
09's are 4 wheel disk

·
Registered
2009 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went back after I calmed down and pulled up on the brake while pushing in the button. Woohoo! Success! I have my freedom back.

Thanks for your suggestions. I feel smarter now!:icon_biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts