Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this semester has been interesting. Hardest semester yet at college. My computer bricked 1 month ago. This last week I was the sickest I have been in a long time. I was just feeling better Yesterday when my Xbox 360 red ringed (single red light). Then today...

Pulled out of driveway to go get parts to fix my xbox, there was some grinding noise, I thought this was the usual rust on rotors because it had not been driven in 3 weeks. Sound persisted around the block so I decided to head back to switch to the Legacy. I go to stop for the last turn on the block back I hear a metallic clunk and the sound of metal hitting the road and bouncing! It grinded and groaned going back into the driveway, I walked to the stop sign and found this, which I presume is a piece of my coil spring, not sure from what side though because it's raining and cold; ended up just taking the Legacy for errands:

All I have to say is really!! :huh: I hate the gross amounts of salt NY uses...

At least I have a souvenir for this wonderful chapter of my life. lol.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,784 Posts
WOW! Now that's some serious rusting! :icon_eek: They must use extra heavy duty road salts in your area! :frown:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the flux capacitor broke...
That sucks though!
Oh that dumaflachy majooger right?

Yikes! Definitely save that for a future lawl session.
Yah, basically all I can do is laugh at how stupid it is, and the fact that I just spent about 3 hours with my bricked xbox only to get a different error code. Im not even sure if my foz is safe to drive to the local shop too...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah brought it to a shop 2 miles a way and my driver side front corner was making some odd noises. Get there and they find the bottom of the spring coil had sheared (as I thought), but now I have to wait for a part and they are checking the rest of the suspension for more goodies. Hooray for rust :N_poke:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
harsh, but on the otherhand :woohoo:

I wish the OEM spring would fall off like that, swift-ly..:Banane08:

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
harsh, but on the otherhand :woohoo:

I wish the OEM spring would fall off like that, swift-ly..:Banane08:
lolz, I had the shop order oems.

I guess if you want your foz lowered just throw some salt on :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a set of stock SF springs with around 60K miles on them you can have for cheap if you want. In great condition.
Shop won't let me use my own parts, they ordered new ones 70$ each, figured it's a good investment and will make the ride better. Thanks anyways. Maybe someday I'll lower it for ****s.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
They won't install parts that you buy/bring them? That's wack! I would have sold you the set of 4 springs for $60 shipped. :shrug:
Yeah well I'm in foreign territory for mechs because I don't know any up here. I didn't want to try driving 90 miles with a bad spring. Maybe I'll get to know them better and be able to change up things for savings later. We'll see how good their work is, getting charged on the low end of labor at least (60/hr). Total job is going to be 320$, 70$/spring, price I pay for needing work and only the oem being available.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
dude that shop is sticking it to you, by making a profit on you on the new parts. for $70/spring you could have gotten swifts... sucks you are backed in2 a corner. go to sears buy some tools, jack, stands and learn to work on your car yourself!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dude that shop is sticking it to you, by making a profit on you on the new parts. for $70/spring you could have gotten swifts... sucks you are backed in2 a corner. go to sears buy some tools, jack, stands and learn to work on your car yourself!
Yeah I'm in a really poor situation here at school. I live in an apartment, in a place fairly new to me with no garage, just a gravel driveway where my landlord would surely yell at me if I even jacked up the car. There really wasn't many choices this time, I have bee living here for year and a half, and getting used to living on my own. I really should try to know the community better because I'll be living here for at least two more years. I wish this had happened on my terms or I would have gotten premium springs done at the right price. But alas, as many times in my life things arn't that easy.

The part price was fairish, I checked a few different dealers for the prices, most places called for 75$ spring new.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I totally understand where you are coming from, back in the day I would tear my jetta apart in the apartment parking lot and as long as it was back together by the end of the day the landlady would leave me alone.. I ended up replacing the belts on the street in front of a friends house.. such a drag.

now I have my own garage and driveway.. it was a requirement when we were house shopping.:biggrin:

·
Banned
2000 Forester L
315 Posts
I was just reading about salt usage on the roads in Smithsonian today. It is alarming how much chloride can leakinto the water table and still be "good enough for the EPA.":yell:

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just reading about salt usage on the roads in Smithsonian today. It is alarming how much chloride can leakinto the water table and still be "good enough for the EPA.":yell:
I'm not sure where you read that, but the Cl is bonded to potassium with road salt, so it's not just Cl in the water or both are filtered out by soil eventually. Either way, I simply don't understand why they use such gross amounts of salt here when there are cheaper alternatives...

When I look for my first house, a garage is a must, even if the house is a tent lol.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
I'm not sure where you read that, but the Cl is bonded to potassium with road salt, so it's not just Cl in the water or both are filtered out by soil eventually. Either way, I simply don't understand why they use such gross amounts of salt here when there are cheaper alternatives...

When I look for my first house, a garage is a must, even if the house is a tent lol.
Agreed 100%, but I already know I'll more than likely be building a house instead of buying something.

I actually mentioned this to Tyler a few months ago, but we've switched (I work for the region/county) to refined beet juice sugar... Here is an article:

Region has one eye on snowy roads and one on the environment with sugar beet product​

NIAGARA REGION, January 4, 2010 – With a focus on the environment and lowering costs, the Region is piloting the use of a sugar beet juice compound, otherwise known as an “organic liquid de-icing” product that has been shown to reduce the amount of salt applied during winter operations by as much as 30 per cent.

The organic de-icing product (Fusion 2350) is a pre-mixed liquid comprised of a 50-50 solution of salt brine with the by-product of sugar beet juice refining. This material is either applied to dry roads as an anti-icing agent or applied as a pre-wetting agent to salt for de-icing purposes.

The sugar beet juice solution is also applied at a reduced rate when de-icing (salting) of 18 litres per tonne of salt versus the current practice of 127 litres per tonne of salt when pre-wetting. In addition, the application rate of salt is reduced from 85 kilograms per lane kilometre to 78 kilograms per lane kilometre while still achieving the same results because the process keeps more salt on the road since there is less ‘bounce and scatter’ than with traditional rock salt. The impact, a reduction in cost of almost $2 per lane kilometre, is significant when considering the Region is responsible for maintaining more than 1,600 lane kilometres of roadway.

“We are excited by the results seen in other municipalities and look forward to the same, or better success here,” said Dave MacLeod, Manager of Operations and Technology, Transportation Services. “The Region has entered a public/private partnership to pilot the use of the beet juice product in Niagara. The project, using Regional crews and Steed & Evans, the Region’s ‘Area Maintenance Contractor’ has the support of the manufacturer and supplier of the material, Eco-Solutions, who is looking forward to sharing our results.”

The Region will be piloting the project in two areas that were identified as ‘highly vulnerable’ in a previous Salt Vulnerability Study. The areas include Niagara-on-the-Lake, because of its agriculture/tender fruit areas, and the Wainfleet/West Lincoln area which is associated with the Welland River and will provide information on wetland and surface water contamination.

Staff will prepare a report at the conclusion of the project with a recommendation as to implementing this product region-wide, or continuing with current practice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts