Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a comp day today to get some work done on my Forester. One of the things I've been wanting to do is have a door ding get taken care of that has been bugging the heck out of me for a few weeks now. Some schmo at work hit me pretty high up on the drivers side rear door. I saw it every time I got in, even in my side view mirror :tempertantrum

Anyway, I'm not sure how many people know what paintless dent removal is so I asked Craig, the guy I've been using to remove diings for some time now, if I could document the process. Here you go:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21694#post21694

Attachments

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
It's fascinating to watch because they make it look so easy! Here's a pic of our local dent pro Justin hard at work at the annual Mt. Hamilton meet two years ago. He uses the white screen with the stripe on it to ensure the perfect smoothness of the panel by checking the reflection of the black stripe in the paintwork.

He's removed a number of dings and dents from Subed, including a foot-sized one that went diagonally across my entire door panel (goodbye present from the ex :rolleyes: ). Justin usually performs his magic dirt cheap on a cash-only basis at the local dent days every couple months through our BAIC chapter of i-club.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
The garage owner where I park uses paintless dent remover service to repair all the mishaps in there. The tech charges $75-$100 per visit for cars with less than 5 dings or so. The only dings they are not able to repair are the ones that located between frames and places they can't reach with their tools. IMO, it's well worth the money. Nothing sours your day than seeing your baby full of pits.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
pleiad7 said:
He's removed a number of dings and dents from Subed, including a foot-sized one that went diagonally across my entire door panel (goodbye present from the ex :rolleyes: ).
Are you serious? That's not cool.

I guess that's why he's the ex.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I used a place just outside of philly the last time i had them pulled (this was off of my '02 WRX wagon, right before I sold it). The PDR guy did some astounding things - he managed to take a dent out of the front of the hood, a really tight curve, as well as some 25 dings from three of the four doors. College parking lots. :thumbsdown:

Local body shop wanted about $800 for the hood alone. PDR was $350, in cash, and he claybar'd and compounded the whole car for free.

My SF is so beat up it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A pro can do wonders. I happened to notice some very minor but multiple light hail dings on my '00 Trooper Ltd before I bought it 5 years ago & the dealer called their PDR pro, a sub contractor, to make the repairs. Watching the guy using the tools was impressive but more importantly was his meticulous effort making the repairs perfect using a UV light to show any ripples for further massaging. The only dents that couldn't be removed were on the front vent grilles which could hardly be seen anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts