Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone taken a look at the back of the 09+ plastic door card to see if the silver trim piece needs to be painted on the car?

it is the last piece i need to paint for the interior and it looks like it is going to be a pain in the donkey

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
It unclips once you undo the screw in the hand-hold bit.

(but you'd know that if you'd read any of the door card/ rattle TSB threads...)

·
Registered
2011 WRX Hatch Manual
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It unclips once you undo the screw in the hand-hold bit.

(but you'd know that if you'd read any of the door card/ rattle TSB threads...)
i read through all of those, and about an hour ago i just screw it and pulled both the back doors apart. unfortunately the part i painted cant be removed without messing up a bunch of plastic welds.

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
You can.....

The plastic welds can be carefully drilled with a big drill to just remove the mushroom head of the plastic - then paint to your heart's content.

Reattaching is easy if you source some short self tapping wood or sheet screws with a pan head (flat, not cone/countersunk). Just drill a small and shallow pilot hole in the centre of the plastic stubs and carefully screw together without over tightening - it's only plastic! Make sure the screws are long enough to bite into the plastic, but not so long they protrude up through the armrest/door console.

A bit of hot glue gun-ing may also do the job - it's all out of sight.

I know this as I had to remove/repair and replace my driver side arm rest that split under the top trim when I leant my elbow on it one day....

·
Registered
2010 Forester, Legacy
50 Posts
The plastic welds can be carefully drilled with a big drill to just remove the mushroom head of the plastic - then paint to your heart's content.

Reattaching is easy if you source some short self tapping wood or sheet screws with a pan head (flat, not cone/countersunk). Just drill a small and shallow pilot hole in the centre of the plastic stubs and carefully screw together without over tightening - it's only plastic! Make sure the screws are long enough to bite into the plastic, but not so long they protrude up through the armrest/door console.

A bit of hot glue gun-ing may also do the job - it's all out of sight.

I know this as I had to remove/repair and replace my driver side arm rest that split under the top trim when I leant my elbow on it one day....
A word of caution with those screws, make sure they're not too long. I had a plastic "pimple" in my '07 Civic passenger door from where I sunk a screw too deep in a plastic weld. :) Actually I had two but I was able to use a heat gun and my thumb (not at the same time!) to push the other one down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts