Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to paint the silver plastic trim, bumpers, door bits ect.
As you can see the bumper has been replaced at some point, but whoever painted it had obviously never heard of primer. :icon_frown:

is there anything that I 'need to know' about paint and primer being applied to plastics? Do they distort when temps change? What will i need to do to prevent future cracking of the paint? Oh. And I'm going to paint it goldish. Wheels too. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,845 Posts
When they painted my rear bumper skin on my 07 FSXT, they use the same paint as the body, but an additive was mixed into the paint to keep it flexible. Without the additive, the paint on the bumper skin would crack & peel. :smile:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
when they painted mine they used a different primer as well, it was yellow if thats any use but first they cleaned the hell out of it and it was already new.

First off they sanded it then they wiped it with loads of thinners to make sure it was clean, before applying this yellow primer. it was then sanded again and sprayed with grey primer. again sanded and then colour blasted.

The side plastic bits clip on but where an absolute bas'tard to get off

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just pop down to your local paint shop & ask their advice then have tem mix alarge can in the colour of your choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts