Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The silver mufflers hanging down from the rear of the SH (2010) really spoil the rear appearance of the current Forester.
I painted the muffler backs and pipes of my Forester with high temperature matt black stove enamel. I masked the sides of the muffler to give a good finished appearance, and used brushable paint to avoid overspray.
What a difference!
The area below the bumper is now uniformly black, and the whole rear appearance is much more integrated and uncluttered.
Recommended.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
I did this last week, although I only painted the rear face of the muffler as I couldn't be bothered doing the whole muffler.

I masked up the area and sprayed it with black heat proof paint.

Looks much improved from behind, my Legacy came from factory with black mufflers :shake:

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
I like this idea, especially over the visible part of the muffler side as well...keep us updated as to how the paint holds up to flaking off though.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
Before...

During...

After...

Still deciding whether to do the entire muffler, they get quite dirty so not sure its worth it.

I did it almost word for word how Canonshooter described :biggrin:

·
Registered
2006 XT
675 Posts
Paint the whole can, looks much better when you view from the side. My Cobb has been painted for three+ years now, just leaving the SS tip to shine:biggrin:

Yes once a year you scrub with some steel wool and repaint. Depends on your location. Once I ran I80/84 thru Salt Lake in winter with there chemicals and a day later all paint was gone, yup 100% just like that.

No bling here:cool:

·
Registered
2009 Forester, auto
57 Posts
Did the painting over a year ago and all is well. Just do good prep work. Also painted the exhaust pipes that were silver.

·
Registered
2009 X Limited
141 Posts
Saw this thread a while back and finally found the time and opportunity to do it (it was raining on and off for 2weeks). Thanks for the write-up. This little mod was so easy to do and took little time. The forester looks so much better from behind! :Banane35:

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
I used Duplicolor "High Heat with Ceramic" that is supposed to be OK to 1200 degrees. Part is "DH 1602 High Heat Black" with a bar code of 26916 34602. I dropped the mufflers from the exhaust pipes (2 bolts) and the inside hanger. That meant that those big tin cans dropped into almost full view. I didn't take them off entirely since I was only painting the rear of the mufflers.

I don't have the painting skills of the earlier poster that I think it looks much better than stock...even if there is a paint run on one of the tailpipes. Sigh.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
Looks good

I decided not to paint the whole thing as they get too dirty.

Six months on and no flaking or chipping.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
38 Posts
header paint

I actually saw some header paint at a parts store that rated at 2000f. I bet that would be the best paint for exhaust parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts