Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I go into the garage and notice a large white house paint spot on the top of the car. I look up and realize that the painters put a piece of siding with wet paint up in the rafters of the garage. :yell:

It then proceeded to drip onto the roof of the car. Its not terrible, but it's still noticable.

Does anyone know a way of removing the house paint without damaging the car paint?

Thanks for the help!

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,713 Posts
How big is it?
Amusing it is fresh latex paint, try softening the paint by applying a water soaked rag and letting that sit overnight. You may be able to scrape it off with your finger nail after it softens.
Fresh oil based paints are easily removed with solvents. I'd start with plain old WD40.
Good luck,

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Its about an inch and a half in diameter

How big is it?
Amusing it is fresh latex paint, try softening the paint by applying a water soaked rag and letting that sit overnight. You may be able to scrape it off with your finger nail after it softens.
Fresh oil based paints are easily removed with solvents. I'd start with plain old WD40.
Good luck,

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tried getting it wet and stuff, but it seems like it is "fused" (for lack of a better word) onto the surface. When wet, it sort of fades, but then once it dries, the white color comes back

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,221 Posts
You may want to swing by a body shop. They are used to things like this, even removing road stripe paint which is really tough. They have some chemicals that may clean it right off without marring the finish.

·
admin
2019 Outback 3.6R ..... 98 Forester S - Atl, GA
6,713 Posts
i tried getting it wet and stuff, but it seems like it is "fused" (for lack of a better word) onto the surface. When wet, it sort of fades, but then once it dries, the white color comes back
You might want to try and soak overnight in WD40? It won't hurt your paint.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
turns out that It wasn't in fact paint. I had it looked at by a few people and they suggested that it may be acid rain? or something of the sort.

It pretty much just looks like a dry water spot that will not go away.

What would be the solution to fix that? Get it buffed?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Try rubbing alcohol.

It is honestly most likely a spot from bird poo or bug splatter, they can etch the paint if left on too long.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Whatever chemical you go with (after all these suggestions), don't forget to polish and wax that spot again.
This thread is making me cringe! Any time I have to make any corrections to my paint I get swirls all over the place. I know black paint can be rough to deal with, but I'm pretty sure the Forester paint is rather soft...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts